I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Soure for cork rings
Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:20AM

I pulled the trigger and got the Grizzly Hobby Lathe, thanks guys for your input. So, now where do you get quality cork rings at a good price? Bill

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Soure for cork rings
Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:29AM

You can purchase quality cork rings at a fair market price from Karen @ Bingham. She is importing rings directly from Mar Ktruz, LTD. [www.alcatruz.pt]

P.S. I suggest building the first few grips with CG3 rings. They are actually a very good value AND you can price a bit before moving to the more expensive CG2.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/08/2010 08:31AM by Jim Gamble.

Posted by: Mud Hole Custom Tackle (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:45AM

Mud Hole Custom Tackle has some economical cork rings which we recommend to beginners starting out turning their own grips, they are a fair quality for the price. When you get better at turning grips, you can upgrade the quality.

Starter cork rings:
[www.mudhole.com]

More cork rings:
[www.mudhole.com]

We also offer turning mandrels:
[www.mudhole.com]

Mandrel wax:
[www.mudhole.com]

We would also recommend trying turning some EVA blocks:
[www.mudhole.com]

You might want to try your hand at acrylic reel seat turning:d
[www.mudhole.com]

Or wood reel seat inserts:
[www.mudhole.com]

If you get into wood reel seat turning, we recommend this video:
[www.mudhole.com]

More turning items can be found at:
[www.mudhole.com]

As you can see, having a lath opens up a world of opportunities for the rod building to enjoy.

Regards.
Team Mud Hole Custom Tackle
Web: [www.mudhole.com]
Email: sales@mudhole.com
Toll Free Phone #: 1-866-790-RODS (7637)

Stay Connected with us:
FaceBook: [www.facebook.com]
YouTube: [www.youtube.com]
Instagram: [www.instagram.com]
Tik Tok: Tik Tok: [www.tiktok.com]
Twitter: @mudholetackle

Posted by: Karen Hapka - Bingham Ent. (---.rdns.blackberry.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 09:46AM

If you want to start practicing on economical cork rings we also have what we call Utility grade rings at an extremely affordable price. You can find these under our cork ring selections.
Karen Hapka
Bingham Enterprises
Binghamenterprises@kc.rr.com

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: October 08, 2010 11:19AM

The Grizzley isn't going to handle acrylic or hard woods

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Bill Giokas (---.hsd1.ma.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 02:59PM

Thanks for the info . I am only going to do cork grips. Bill

Posted by: tony ertola (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: October 11, 2010 04:47PM

I hope you don't plan on saving money with that lathe! Decent cork is expensive and some that is expensive isn't very good at all. If you don't want any to use any filler be prepared to pay$2-3+ per ring and still have to sort some out. Use the cheapest stuff you can find to practice. If you buy in quantity, sort them out keeping the best ones for premium rods. Rubberized and burl cork can be had for reasonable $ but is twice as heavy. Nice for accents.

Get creative and have fun

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster