I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Liquiglass Epoxy preview
Posted by: Ken Preston (---.bltmmd.fios.verizon.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 07:31AM

I did a test on a sample of Liquiglass thread epoxy finish and thought I'd share here. This is absolutely the clearest two part epoxy I've seen - ever. I subjected a mixed batch (as well as separate parts) to the equivalent of 3 years UV sun exposure and it did not yellow. As with any product there are good and "bad" aspects. In this case the good outweighs the bad. It mixes well with minimal bubbles captured in the finish and those release without pouring onto a flat surface. I mix epoxy vigorously and quickly with a wooden popscicle stick in a plastic cup (horror of horrors to some I'm sure). I also mix 6 - 10 cc's (3-5 of each part) of finish at a time so I can apply to 4-5 rods & get them into dryers. The second good part about this epoxy is the long pot life - the batch I mixed was still workable after 12 minutes (or more than twice as long as I normally need for 4 rods). I also poured some mixed finish out on aluminium foil. After 30 hours I can bend the foil double - the foil rips but the surface of the finish is not cracked or crazed. I'll check again after another day or two and re-bend for cracking. So those are the "goods". The "bads" - are the logical opposite of the "goods" - the long pot life also leads to a slow cure time (nearly 3 hours to 'non-drip') and something like 6 to non-sag with a full cure per manufacturer of 72 hours. So, if you're doing a lot of rods you will need a lot of dryers and ample time on each before turning over to a customer or shipping. The as yet unknowns - the finish viscosity is somewhere between "light" and "regular" - I only checked it on dark thread wraps so I couldn't check for penetration of the threads along the guide foot. The edge seal is excellent but I couldn't check for darkening along the guide foot. On one hand the long pot life means it should penetrate well - but the viscosity may work against that.
I got the best results applying the finish under power at high revolutions (over 80rpm). At low speed much less on the brush or applied with a spatula was best - again due to the viscosity (low speed coupled with a heavy brush load = footballs & 'clumping')

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Liquiglass Epoxy preview
Posted by: Rob Hale (64.134.178.---)
Date: October 08, 2010 08:53AM

Ken Preston Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I did a test on a sample of Liquiglass thread
> epoxy finish and thought I'd share here. This is
> absolutely the clearest two part epoxy I've seen -
> ever. I subjected a mixed batch (as well as
> separate parts) to the equivalent of 3 years UV
> sun exposure and it did not yellow.

This is the part that caught my eye . How clear is clear? Do you mean it was perfectly clear like a pane of glass or just clearer than other epoxies on the market?

Posted by: lorenzo tellez (---.hsd1.il.comcast.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 10:56AM

Where could I purchase some of this Liquiglass, I have been using Diamond 2, and it works really good, clear and is easy to work with, Iv'e only done a couple of rods one was mine and the other a friendof mine,, they turned out really nice, I just want to try others , curious.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2010 11:07AM

To my knowledge, you can't purchase it. It's a commercial furniture finishing product. The smallest containers I've seen were 2-gallons each and those were samples. I wrote about it in a previous RodMaker blog entry a couple weeks back.

It is clear - every bit as clear as water, which is the remarkable thing about it. I've never seen any epoxy that didn't turn at least a bit amber after long term exposure to UV light. I'm still not convinced this won't also turn at some point, although Ken's test seems to indicate that it might not.

There is at least one other epoxy product I've seen that was just about as clear, and that is System 3 Mirror Coat. I think a few builders are using that now. I've seen it at the local woodworking supply shop and while their other epoxies all seem to go yellow or even brown, this stuff remains perfectly water clear. I haven't used it, however, so I can't comment on whether it would make a good thread wrap coating or not. The label does say it is for interior use only.

Posted by: JEREMY FISHER (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 08, 2010 12:48PM

[www.steebar.com]

The above link sells it at a reasonable price for a 32 ounce container.....

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: October 08, 2010 02:02PM

That's not it. It's Liqui-Glass, not Liquid Glass. Although that may be an equally good product.

Posted by: Bill Napier (---.208.88.219.rdns.vpslime.com)
Date: October 09, 2010 11:48AM

The product Jeremy referenced as Liquid Glass is pretty common. It looks about like any other epoxy including most of what is sold as rod building epoxy, which I tend to believe is all that any of these things are anyway. Repackaged woodworking epoxies. And they all turn yellow at some point from what I have seen.

I have no knowledge of the Liquiglass product that Ken reviewed so I cannot comment on it.

Someone mentioned MIrror Coat by System 3. This peaked my interest some time ago and you might remember a board post I made asking if anyone else had used it for a guide wrap coating. At least one other person had and said they liked it. I risked $30 on a kit and tried it myself. Yep, just as clear as clear can be. Much clearer than any other epoxy I have ever seen. But it is very thin. Much like our Lite epoxy versions. Expect to use three to four coats to get any build. But I continue experimenting with it. So far so good.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster