I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

seat direction?
Posted by: Mike B. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 10:03PM

Just to get some other opinions, when making a spinning rod which direction do you mount the seat? With the moveable nut to the rear or to the front? And why? I don't think there is a wrong way to do this but I know some of my customers prefer one way or the other. What are the pros and cons of each?

Options: ReplyQuote
No wrong way
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.59.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 10, 2001 10:14PM

I build several pier fishing spinning rods every year designed for throwing Got Cha's, etc. A lot of fishermen use a piston grip when working these lures. On these rods I reverse the seat to put the static hood to the rear. I turn the grip to the diameter of the seat so that there is no pinching of the web of the hand.

I have also built surf rods with the seat reversed. Try it and see what you think.

Re: No wrong way
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.jpmorgan.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 10:24PM

Mike - What's a Piston Grip?

On spinning rods, I prefer the seat to be downlocking (moveable nut to the front). This way I am not resting my hand on graphite threads while fishing, but on soft 600 grit sanded smooth cork. No lip for me either, a perfectly smooth transition from the cork to the hood.

Billy

Re: No wrong way
Posted by: Mike Moran (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2001 09:27AM

I find that when doing a spinning rod I want the thread of the seat on the bottom, so when you hold the line during casting you are not pressing it against the threads. This is particularly important on large rods for 6-8 ounces and bait from the surf. Also makes it easier to work the lock nut from the bottom rather than trying to work near the bail. On baitcasters however I put the threads on top so as to have a smooth bottom section for my hand to snug up to.

Just my 2 cents worth.

Mike Moran
Alleghany Anglers

Sorry!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.124.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 11, 2001 04:56PM

"Pistol" grip or "pencil" grip.

Jeez, you would think that I graduated from East Carolina or something!

Re: Sorry!
Posted by: Bob Vasko (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 11, 2001 11:38PM

I build mostly freshwater spinning rods and I prefer to make the reel seat "downlocking" with the locking nut towards the tip. I also like to turn down the butt section so it's equal in diameter to the o.d. of the recieving ring, and then swelling out slightly an inch or so behind that, relative to the user's hand. It makes for a very comfortable grip, and the little swell behind the heel of the hand tends to keep the rod from slipping forward under extreme pressure. My 2cents. Bob Vasko

Position
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 12, 2001 09:31AM

For almost 20 years I built all my spinning rods with the fixed hood to the front. In recent years I have begun building them with the fixed hood to the rear. Having the palm of my hand mostly on the hood and rear grip just seems more comfortable to me now. Previously, it seemed better to have my thumb on the foregrip.

I don't think you can do this incorrectly. You do need to realize that the direction you mount the seat has much to do with where the reel actually ends up on the rod and adjust grip length and guide placement to correspond with the respective seat location.

If I were you, I'd position it for the greatest personal comfort.

Re: Position (and balance)
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 12, 2001 09:46AM

Whether uplocking or downlocking, it can be a preference thing.
I also have found it can make a better idea with some very short ice rods for balance with the reel. That short difference in turning the reel seat the other way can make a difference on a 26 or 30" specialty ice rod. It is after all custom, and should represent the optimal sense of feel and balance.

For most spinning rods I would do affix in the uplocking position still, even though have done it both ways. Tom has a good point about the comfort of the palm not resting on the threads.

my 2 cents.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Capt. Harold (---.xtalwind.net)
Date: October 13, 2001 04:58AM

Notice all production spinning rods have the lock towards the tip. I've been reversing this for years. Thought maybe I was the only one doing it. Sure has got me lots of compliments from my customers when I suggest it. I've always wondered why the factorys insisted on doing it backwards. I also trim the seat threads so as to just barely fit the reel. Hand comfort and balance is a big plus on a days casting. Pleasing the eye and hand is why we do what we do.

Capt. Harold

Posted by: Wes (---.worldaccessnet.com)
Date: October 13, 2001 12:55PM

For me, the threads at the bottom feels the best for me, but for others, it feels better with the threads at the top. My suggestion is the install the butt grip and place the arbors for the reel seat. Slide the reel seat over the arbors both ways and see which feels better for you.
Wes

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster