I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

looking for guides
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 06:19PM

Fuji used to make an SG and a NSG with a gold frame and black SIC insert. I haven't seen them in any catalougues. Does anyone know if they are still available ?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: looking for guides
Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.aurora1.co.home.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 08:46PM

Yes they are.Check with the suppliers whose links appear to the left.They are the GNSG guides.

Posted by: Moderator (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 09:10PM

Shaun - Please use an email address when posting. Not only does that make things easier on me in enforcing the rules, but it also helps those who may choose to email you directly with answers to questions. Thanks.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 09:53PM

I have never seen the fly type guides in the gold finish. I have seen the GNSG is sizes up to a 16 and the GSVSG in sizes up to a 30. They are very nice looking. Can't say if they are still offered but I had assumed that they were.

Do not use them in saltwater however. Every Fuji gold plated guide I have ever used in the salt turned green before my eyes!

Salt water and gold
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.59.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 10, 2001 10:21PM

The key to keeping gold guides from corroding is to NEVER allow salt air or water touch the guide. You have to apply a coat of corrosion inhibitor BEFORE the rod leaves the house and heads to the coast. After the trip, you have to wash the rod and the guides with warm soapy water, let dry and then reapply the inhibitor. The is true for all guides, not just gold.

I have 5 rods with gold guides that I have been using for over 7 years at the coast with no corrosion.

Re: Salt water and gold
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.jpmorgan.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 10:25PM

Mike, you're killing me. What type of Corrosion Inhibitor do you use? This is like 20 questions, all 20 coming from me!!

Billy

Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 11, 2001 09:44AM

Sorry I should have been more specific. I am looking for fly not spin guides.

Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.124.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 11, 2001 04:58PM

Super Lube, Slick 50 in spray can, CRC, AlumaGuard, etc. ANYTHING but WD40!

Tigold??
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 11, 2001 10:48PM

Shaun,
Another idea. Check into the TiGold ring guides. These are very durable and corrosion resistant. The frames are titanium carbide plated and the ring is zirconia which holds best the coating of titanium nitride giving the pleasing gold color for the ring. We have them under the Forecast brand from Batson enterprises and they have the lite Tich frame being the most durable plating process there is. The comparison to the GNSG I believe would be Forecast
LTCUDNG. They souldn't require any further sprays or applications of corrosion inhibitors, but Mike has a good routine for use after exposure to salt.

Also, I wouldn't recommend WD 40 either. It is neither much of a lubricant, nor much of an inbitor leaving most probably an unpleasant residue for making other things (like dust,etc) stick.

The TiGold (TiCN) or TiCh (Ticarb) ringed guides should prove to be very slick and grease/oil resistant as well as cosmetically very pleasing. Give em a try.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster