I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New for 2002?
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: October 09, 2001 07:55PM

Any of the board sponsors care to share with us what's new in the way of rod building products for 2002?

Bob

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New for 2002?
Posted by: R.A. Martin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 09, 2001 09:50PM

I have a rod building news list I send out a few times each year. Next time up I will have a report from this year's ASA and AFFTA shows. Send me your email address with the word ADD in the subject line and I will make sure you get a copy.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 09, 2001 11:01PM

Bob, now you've got me going with the new stuff.

For starters, St. Croix has several new blanks of note including their new series of SCIII moderate action (crankbait) blanks.
Several new additions in the SCIV fly blanks including a 7'6" 2 wt. and a 9'6" 7 wt. Also special are the additions to the SCV in heavier casting blanks up to 7'6", a new SCIII musky blank in 7'6" med. heavy, and also several new SCII (tidemaster) inshore blanks in moderate actions including a 7'3" med. power model.
There's more but these stand out in my mind. Also St. Croix has added a new line of large arbor fly reels very noteworthy.
A couple new handle kits 14.5" and 16.5" casting catch my attention.

In Rainshadow and Forecast, Batson has just released his new catalogue for us stocking suppliers. Many new blank additions are added including Forecast import low cost fly blanks, solid fiberglass saltwater, and others. In Rainshadow blanks of note are some nice steelhead and multi-purpose blanks.
We're excited about the new Forecast guides just released and received in single foot fly with lite ticarb (tich) frame with either hardalloy, Tich (silver finish), or Tigold super smooth hard rings.

Also the new fly reel seats in quite a variety of combinations with ebony, walnut, or rosewood inserts with gold or shiny gunsmoke metal are inexpensive and look beautiful. I lve got these now and am quite impressed for the quality vs. cost. Also the A9L2 aluminum seats in black or titanium. A new item we will be soon special ordering include the Tich Frame H.D. boat guides.

As for Pac Bay, the lite wire snake guides in various metal finishes are ideal for the ultralight or where flexibility is wanted. Also the new Alpine rod cases are worth mentioning for price and looks. Burgundy cordura covering with a screw lock cap instead of zipper closure. Also available now are tich metal winding checks, we are awaiting delivery. An 11 rpm drying motor is now available from Pac Bay with a ball bearing wheel stand.

There's lots more, but these I thought I'd mention for starters.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
Rodbuilding Supplies Distributor and Dealer
Canada

Posted by: Wes (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 12:50AM

Struble has added a few new reel seats. The U22 will be available in a black or gray anodized aluminum. Also, a few of the existing reel seats are available in the new anodized finishes including the U15, U6 (and FB7), and their U3 and D3 reel seats.
Lamiglas has come out with their new XMG50 fly and salmon/steelhead blanks and might have additional models available by the time of the conclave. They have also released the blanks for the IM700 Jim Teeny rods. They have also added a few more blanks here and there.
Sage has come out with the SLT series, which is the replacement for the SP series.
Scott has come out with the Super Ply series.
There are a few new Fuji guides available - mostly just in new sizes. The Fuji Low Rider guides should be available within the next few months. Fuji also has some new reel seats, including a new palming design. The BSHG guides along with the Stainless Steel frame Gold Cermet guides are being discontinued.

I don't have catalogs infront of me, so this is just off the top of my head. I'm sure there are many more new items by these and other manufacturers that are worth mentioning.
Wes

Posted by: Bob McKamey (64.53.115.---)
Date: October 10, 2001 06:44PM

Since most of the other companies have been some what covered, I'll add a few more new goodies. Sage has introduced the SLT series, which replaces the SP series. Their claim to fame is, if you can make something better than what you had, "You Do It". Graphite USA made a mid-season introduction with their DHX Series, in spinning, casting and fly. A higher end series that compliments their existing DH - Dual Helix series. G*Loomis will have the new IMX Fly Blanks, Crankin Blanks, Musky/Salt Blanks, Pelagic Salt Blanks and Walleye Blanks. Pac Bay has a bunch of new blanks. Some of Pac Bay product was mentioned in an earlier post, but they do have some new Channel Lock Fly Seats and also Channel Lock Salt Water/Hvy. Duty Aluminum seats, with silver, black, black/gold and Titanium Carbide anodized finishes. There are also aluminum butts for the Channel Lock seats. As mentioned St. Croix and Lamiglas both have many new blanks out, with those being mentioned above. Fuji has added several guides to compliment the existing Concept Guides. Fuji has new reel seats, mainly in the trigger seats and a new ferruled heavy duty/salt seat. Rainshadow Company just keeps coming with new blanks and components. Gudebrod has the new Holographic Braid amd stainless mixing spatula. Struble and Bellinger mentioned, with new fly seats. Tom Kirkman's new book, "Rod Building Guide". At Custom Tackle Supply, we will introduce a couple of new fly seats that we are in the process of having built, that will solve your problem of what type of fly seats to purchase. They will be offered in aluminum and nickel silver hardware, with wood inserts or all aluminum and all nickel silver. We at Custom Tackle Supply also have a new series of high modulus blanks that will eliminate the hassle of carrying a bunch of rods on a fishing trip. The new "Zetta" series will offer three blank models that go from a 4-5-6, 7-8-9 and 10-11. Each blank has interchangeable tip and mid-sections, to accomomodate the various line weights per model. You achieve all those line weights in one rod. We are exicited about our introduction of the new fly seats and Zetta blanks that hopefully can be introduced by the first of the year. I am sure, as some of the others that have posted, left out some things, as we do have numerous new products available. If you would like to know more about any of the new products by the manufacturers, just contact us and we will be glad to help assist you. We will be up-dating our new web-site soon, with lots of goodies to be added.

Bob McKamey -- Custom Tackle Supply
E-mail -- customtackle@united.net
Web-site -- www.customtackle.com
Phone -- 931-684-6164

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.jpmorgan.com)
Date: October 10, 2001 07:59PM

[www.momentoffame.com]
[www.momentoffame.com]

Here's a look at the New Pro Gear & Pac Bay seats.

Re: New for 2002?/ more
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 11, 2001 03:30PM

A few more mentions. We will also start distributing an interesting LEATHER product exclusively from Australia for the purpose of grip material. This is the best in the world for this purpose, especially big game and large saltwater or freshwater big game rods. It will last a very long time, does not absorb water, and be in perforated or non-perforated types. We'll also make available the information on its usage and how it looks on the rods of experts using the stuff for over 30 years with success.

As mentioned, the channel lock reel seats are the hot new item from Pac. Bay, also Forecast now has available exposed trigger graphite trigger reel seats with sizes to fit all diameters of blanks and. New aluminum trolling butts in black, black/gold, or silver.
Forecast Blanks will now include Solid Black Fiberglass saltwater blanks in lengths of 65" to 80" . These are heavy duty (and heavy, but strong). The price on these can't be beat.

The import Forecast blanks in Fly, Spin Action, and Steelhead models are designate color of Dark Blue. For low budget, but yet wanting some quality these are worth checking out. You might also want to check out some of the RX7 graphite with new listings in bass and flippin stick models.

See all these listings in the new catalog you can request from us at info@rodreel.com. All the best. and happy rodbuilding going forward into 2002.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel
www.rodreel.com
Devlin, Ontario
board sponsor

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster