I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thoughts ?
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 12:49PM

I have edited most of the text from this "Ask the Pro" at Scientific Anglers Web site. Any Comments ?

Q:Do snake or single foot guides offer advantages for a bluegill rod?

A: I would use one stripper guide and the rest snake guides. Single foot guides have more resistance, lines don't shoot as well through them.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thoughts ?
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 08, 2001 02:41PM

When someone makes a comment like that, you have to wonder if they have ever tried a quality ceramic single foot guide.

The earliest ceramic single-foot guides where very heavy compared to their counterparts today. But I still know people who tried them 25 years ago and still think that today's guides could not possibly be any different. Most of the people who continue to spread the various myths about ceramic guides have never used them. Or at least have not used good ones.

The advantage to using quality ceramic guides lies in the total "package" - better longevity, less line wear, resistant to wear and grooving, less weight (in many cases) and better line shooting.

Whether or not they are for you is something you have to decide for yourself. I'd suggest trying a set and see how well you like them. It should also be said that snake guides and other metal ringed guides are not inherently bad - they're certainly not. They have done the job for many years and work just as well now as they did when introduced.

Re: Thoughts ? and other thoughts
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 08, 2001 03:18PM

Shaun,
Yes, it goes with tradition in some cases and with improvements in materials also.
Just to add to the above of what Tom and Dick say, but in the area of some new things to try out, there are lite wire snake guides now available that you might consider for you light bluegill rod. The advantage of these over regular snakes is the flexibility and light weight, less bulk for an ultralight.

As for going the 'non tradition' route, how about the new single foot fly guides now available in lite titanium alloy frame with the super smooth zircon/tigold or tich ring which compare very favorably with hardness of SiC? These have an appealing cosmetic appearance and highly functional in other ways for shooting the line through.

We decided to offer the two choices in addition to the traditional chrome (now super hard chrome) snakes and even the 'ordinary' ceramic single foot fly guides that have been around for some time.

It's a matter of a lot of choices really. Chevy, Ford, maybe even Cadillac??
The joy of rodbuilding.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 03:43PM

Personally I would not build a rod with snake guides and my own rods are built with Fuji single foot SIC. I am waiting to find a blank that I feel like putting the titanium cermets on. I posted this to show what type of information is being presented by the "pros" on a web site of a reputable contributor to the angling industry.

PS. I have never been near a blue gill. Is that the same as a sun fish ? :)

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 08, 2001 03:54PM

The bluegill is in the sunfish family, as are the smallmouth and largemouth bass. If you've never caught one - you should. They are tough characters and a 1lb bluegill on a 3, 4 or 5 weight fly rod is a blast!

Amen
Posted by: jim b (---.chrtn1.sc.home.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 07:21PM

I live in the Deep South and am only able to swing one or two trout fishing trips a year. I do however fish for the "Mighty Gill" at least twice a week. Pound for pound as good a fighter as there is. As Tom said, If ya haven't....you should.

jim

Making do
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 08:10PM

You can get by with almost anything, but there are only advantages to having better equipment. As long as I am able to afford it, I will use the best I can get my hands on. Life is too short to have to 'make do' unless you have to. Ceramics for me all the way!

Sage advice
Posted by: Jim (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 08:39PM

In the words of that fishing and rod making sage, Mr. Veque Sprinkle, "A poor man can only afford the very best".

Give that some serious thought. He's right you know.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster