I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New rodbuilder!
Posted by: Jared (---.154.231.2.Dial1.SanAntonio1.Level3.net)
Date: October 08, 2001 11:33AM

I've wanted to start building my own fly rods for some time now. It's been only recently that I stumbled onto Rodmaker magazine and this site! Can anyone tell me what equipment I need to starting building my own rods and what initial cash outlay are we talking?

Thank you!

Jared

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New rodbuilder!
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 08, 2001 11:52AM

Jared,
First of all, welcome to the craft of rodbuilding. you've already found a good site for information and 'the gathering' through the internet for rodbuilders. Stay with RodMaker magazine for great information and also suggest a few books including the one by Kirkman; Rod Building Guide. There is also a few choice videos like the ones from Artie Hebert, one in particular about custom building fly rods is very helpful.

As to what is needed? You'll need a good basic wrapper to start. There are some good ones on the market, one in the Flex Coat hand wrapper at a decent price and quite versatile. You can make such devices and will work adequately, but the ready made ones include managable thread tensioning devices and perhaps an extension and adjustable rests for the blank.

Once you go through the reading material, you'll have a pretty good idea about the materials and small tools that will ensure success in your project. As for cash layout, it depends on whether you go deluxe and super-functional with power wrappers and the use of top end materials, but I would suggest that many of the suggestions through this forum will help you a great deal about choosing certain blanks, components, epoxies, handle materials, and so on to keep beginning costs reasonalbe and enjoyable.

The basic setup should not set you back too much, and if you figure you'll be using the tools and equipment for a long time building more rods it represents a good investment. For just building one rod, you may want to go with hand-made or the very basic as described in the informational materials.
Start with the books, videos, and magazine articles and go from there. The sponsors here and participants will be very helpful to you.
You may perhaps pick up on a beginning rodbuilding class near where you live as well if you're lucky.

I'll be glad to send you our new catalogue which includes some of the basic books and equipment to get you started. I'm sure some of the other sponsors will also do the same.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 08, 2001 01:30PM

welcome jared,
my begining equipment consisted of a home-made wrapper,I built with real nice red oak for a whopping 10 bucks!
and a dryer made from a rotiserie motor that I got at a yard sale for a buck. I think part of the fun of rod building is inventing your own tools, if you have even very basic McGyver skills you can get yourself going very quickly and cheaply. A machinist freind of mine just built me a wonderful spine finder the other day for nothing! he was intrigued by the whole idea and wante to see how it worked. I guess my advice is go cheap and simple first, then i you like it, spoil yourself with a good power wrapper and what ever else you decide you "absolutely need".

Posted by: Barry Thomas Sr (---.ocean.eticomm.net)
Date: October 08, 2001 07:26PM

Welcome aboardJared; I also built my own wrapper using the meat grinder attachment from a countertop Sunbeam mixer, with a Stren spool for a pully. I guess I was lucky, my local Vo-tech has a night course teaching Rod building. a 10 week, 3hrs a night Bi-weekly Class. I learned the basics, and have not stopped learning since. I learn something everytime I Come to this site

good luck

Try using rollerblade wheels for rollers

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster