I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

venders/builders=suggest spin rod blank
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 03:10PM

I have a walleye angler that is interested in a seven foot spin rod (1 piece) with a medium light power rating and a fast tip(graphite). He wants to cast light jigs and also vertical fish so he needs decent graphite moduls for bite detection.
I have built many of these same rods for walleye anglers using a
St. Croix 3S70MLF blank rated for 4-10 pound line and 1/8 to 3/8 ounce lures. Feedback on these rods is that the anglers love them.
I have been asked for other choices that are less expensive then the St. Croix SCIII. The wholesale price for this blank is $42.00
I am interested in hearing from blank dealers/suppliers that may have a rod with the above specifications that can sell the blank cheaper than $42.00 wholesale.
Regardless of which one the customer chooses for this rod I am going to buy an alternate blank that I can make and keep in the shop
to show customers.
Lamiglas? Rainshadow?Graphite USA? Anyone else?
Thanks,
Buzz Butters B & B Custom Flies and Rods Ripon WI
rodmaker@thesurf.com

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blanks
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 06:49PM

I can't imagine getting a really good blank for much less than 42 bucks. Surely something like a Graphite USA would be much more than that. I'd have to think that you might get a rainshadow or pac bay for less maybe, but other than something like that I can't imagine any. Come to think of it, if a customer wants a blank that cost less than about 40 bucks he needs to be shopping at Wal Mart rather than having a custom rod made. My opinion for what little it might be worth.

3S70MLF
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 06, 2001 06:54PM

Buzz,
This blank from St. Croix along with others in the series, 6'6" and even 6' are top choices as walleye blanks. Even the premier series 2S60MLF and 2S66MLF are among the best local choices in this part of 'walleye country'. These blanks make up into rods with great sensitivity and strength, ideal power and actions for detecting the walleye bite and hauling them in. Indeed these blanks are a good majority of the average cost walleye rods in our region of Canada...Northwestern Ontario. I think St. Croix has a true winner in this category for walleye anglers lots of these are in use today. Ask any walleye angler who has used these rods, either factory or using the blank for custom and almost always will get agreement that they are one of the best in their arsenal for walleye fishing.

I wouldn't care to mention specific prices on this site according to the rules, but you can email or ask for our catalog and check around the lists for alternatives with other companies we represent. I would be glad to email or send you what we have available in Shikari, Forecast and Rainshadow and any applicable wholesale pricing for dealers or custom rodbuilders with a business license.

It may be you'll need to go to one of the imports to achieve the blank strictly on lower price, but the quality may be compromised from what you'll be use to with the St. Croix blanks that you and your customers have come to prefer. and love. IMHO

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: 3S70MLF
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 07:39PM

I forgot all about those St Croix Premier series blanks. They're pretty doggone good and don't cost much. USA made too!

And you know some of these overseas made blanks are getting pretty decent nowadays too!

Maybe All Star blanks???
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: October 06, 2001 08:01PM

I have 2 All Star rods I bought from Clemens. Unfortunately it seems like they do not carry them any more. There are a few blanks, IGSP is the model number that come close to what you are looking for. I have one that I do not have teh model # for, and I apologize for this, that may suit as well. I know they had no blanks longer than 6'6, and the lightest lure rating was 1/4-1/2 for 6-12. In my opinion, the action on the blank I have rods is XFast. Close, but not exact I know, but trying to offer another company besides St. Croix.

Now, don't go out and try one on my behalf, I'd just like to hear if anyone else has used these blanks and if they think it might fit the bill. They are in the price range (around $40 wholesale in teh old Clemens catalouge), and are close to the designated lure/line range. Like to hear from someone else whith more experiance with these blank myself.

Billy

Re: Maybe All Star blanks???
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 06, 2001 08:14PM

Billy,
I haven't used all star blanks, but I believe the xtra fast tip may not be the 'ideal' action for walleye. Having said that , just last weekend a local guide pro who won a local river walleye tornament here(1st prize, $15,000) came in and swore up and down about the great performance of detecting the bite with his St. Croix Avid 6'8" with the xtra fast tip. His partner used some other type of rod who could not detect the fish in the same area. The 3S68MXF are usually ideal smallmouth bass rods, but go figure.If it worked for him on walleye, and I don't argue with success. Incidentally the bait being used was large 5" to 6" live sucker minnows weighing well over 3/4 oz.

I just say in 'general' , and for most recreational wallye fishing, most of the blanks for walleye would be better suited in the lure ratings you mention, but with mod-fast or fast action tips. The med. light power and design by St. Croix in SCII and SCIII excel over many other choices.

Rich

Re: Maybe All Star blanks???
Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 07, 2001 06:22PM

if you want something really cheap, I just built a lamiglas gp843
blem blank from mudhole, mine I cut to 6'5", but at 7' it would probably be fine I think it cost under 25 bucks. nice sensitive tip on it, plus I think mudhole gives you a 90 day warranty

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster