I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Thread winding checks
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 04, 2001 05:20PM

I have seen a few rods (a pic of a factory Sage rod in Angler's Wkshp mag) with the cork turned down to a small taper and thread wrapped over it to make a nice looking transition. (thread finished of course). THose of you with experience doing this. would you do it again, what are pros and cons, durability. I had read somewhere to put a thin coat of finish on the cork to make a smooth bed to wrap on. Any thing else? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Thread winding checks
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: October 04, 2001 06:06PM

Elrod,
Artie Hebert, in one of his rod building videos shows something similar where he makes winding checks out of 5 min epoxy. He uses the epoxy, a rotating rod, and a brush and makes a very nice epoxy winding check that you can wrap the thread right over. I have used this technique and found it easy to do.

Buzz Butters

Re: Thread winding checks
Posted by: Rick Y (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 04, 2001 08:25PM

Buzz is right I use this same trick on all of my ice rods I build and they look great, You have to try it, very easy.

Hey Rick, ice rods
Posted by: Buzz B (---.dotnet.com)
Date: October 05, 2001 10:39AM

Rick,
Where do you get your ice blanks. It seems that when I find a size and style I like they only have a couple. Of they have lots of a certain kind but "discontinue" the tip top that fits etc.

I build ice rods for walleye/smallmouth/white bass

And I build ultralights for panfish. Thanks
Buzz Butters
B & B Custom Flies and Rods
Ripon, WI

Re: Hey Buzz, ice blanks
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 05, 2001 12:24PM

Give me a shout about your requrements in ice blanks. I have a good supply of quality graphite in up to 4 1/2' lengths make great ice rods.

I build ice rods similar to what you mention in medium heavy for lake trout, medium for walleye, and ultralights for crappie mostly up here.

Do you use the x large loop fly tops? or the oversized large ring guides? I had some special designed and ordered for some trout rods with size 16 rings to preven freeze up.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: Hey Buzz, ice blanks
Posted by: Rick Y (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 05, 2001 09:18PM

Buzz,
I have only been building rods for about 1 1/2 years maybe about 30 or 40 rods 2/3 were ice rods. I purchased my blanks from a old guy who said he had 20 G.Loomis rod tips and 20 St.Croix that he purchased at a flea market, I'm not sure if they are what he says, they are the right colors for the brands I think. The cost was .50ea. The so called G.Loomis made great walleye rods and the St. Croix made good perch and crappie rods.

Rich,
I live in NY and been ice fishing for about 20 years in and out of an ice tent never had to much of a problem with freeze up, only a couple of times when it was really cold and using a store bought micro rod with a very very small tip not sure on the size.
I use Fuji Hardloy # 6 or #7 rod tips on most of my rods.
Most of my rods go to freinds and family.
Rich would you have any micro ice blanks for bluegill, sunfish that you would like to sell? Let me know Rick

Rick, check your email
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 05, 2001 11:13PM

Conditions are a bit harsher up here in this part of Canada. Winters can usually assure blasts of -40, but realistically most will get out fishing when it warms up to -20.
True, with ice huts or clams hauled around by snowmachine , there is less worry by freeze up. A lot of guys still brave the open elements on long excursions by snowmobile which restricts carrying too much weight most times and this is times that fishing in the open will create the ice ups on tips and lines. Most of this is for walleye, big pike, or lake trout, even splake or large brook trout in the eastern part of Northwestern Ontario. On the lighter rods, usually the large loop fly tips will be sufficient.

Rich

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster