I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Turks heads?
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: June 24, 2001 06:22PM

Does anyone know how to do a turks head and is it possible to wrap an entire butt section with it. I have seen the wrap but can't quite figure out how or if it could be adapted to a long surf rod type grip.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Turks heads?
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2001 07:23PM

I have seen it done but cannot exactly explain it to you. There is a guy on the allcoast board at www.sport-fish-info.com that can do it and maybe he can help. I think it is Jim Kastorff. You could try a post there and see if he responds.

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2001 11:37PM

Send me a self-addressed envelope and I send you a copy someone gave me years ago on how to do a turks head that is about 1-2 inches wide. I've done them 5 inches long to act as a reel seat-one of the most difficult things I've done,not complicated but hard work, the turks head is a constrictor knot and the long ones get so tight that I had to use a pliers to pull the cord through the last hour of a 3 hour job-not fun at all!
address:
4629 Milton Street
San Diego, CA 92110

Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: June 25, 2001 07:53PM

There are a couple small paperback books, old but now back in print, that have great explanations of the whole range of Turks Heads, and how to extend them to whatever size you desire. "The Arts of the Sailor", by Hervey Garrett Smith (yes, the first name is Hervey) and another, similarly titled, same author same size. Find one, and you'll find the other. Also a large hardcover, the Ashley Book of Knots or something like that, by Ashley, probably still in print, has about 4 trilllion knots in it, including a billion or so decorative ones.

If your booksearch can't find either of these, email me back and I'll get the books out and provide publisher's and ISBN specifics.

Posted by: Doug Weber (---.amtrak-west.com)
Date: June 27, 2001 05:15PM

Mike:

I've done turk's head knots many times. Not only in cord but in reeds and other materials. The process is not difficult. However, it does take some work. What material were you going to use? How many turns did you plan to use. I've done some with four and five turns. They are a bit of a pain. I learned the process when I was a boy scout. And believe it or not, I had to show the Bosun's mates how to do it when I was a midshipman. Use some of the references the other posts have mentioned. Also, look up the reference in the internet under "knots" and "turk's head knot". If you get into trouble, give me a call, and I will do what I can to assist.

The turk's head will not spread out too far. You may only get about 1.5 to 2 inches from a 3 or 4 turn turkshead on a one inch surf rod. They would be good to use as terminals for surf rod cork tape grips.

Doug Weber
Weber Rod Works

Thanks folks!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (63.50.54.---)
Date: June 27, 2001 05:45PM

Checked out all of the poop you gave. It appears to my aging eyes that this really won't work for a full length grip to be used in place of the dreaded cork tape.

Think I will braid some Gudebrod butt cord on it or just suck it up and think of a more interesting way to use cork tape.

If only I could get those bigger ID grips! Oh wo is me:(

Re: Thanks folks!
Posted by: Joe (---.bhm.bellsouth.net)
Date: July 23, 2001 08:16PM

Mike
Go to your local Tandy leather store and pick up one of their books on leather braiding. You will find that the turks head is one of many different ways to cover a cylinder with braid. I've used several of these patterns in cord and rattan and they work fine for either.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster