I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Reelseat for a centerpin/floatrod
Posted by: Jason (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2001 08:25PM

I am looking for a #16 or#17 reelseat wood insert with a flare like shape on top. Basically with a centerpin reel you need to have your hand much closer to the reel in order to keep a finger on the reel. I was thinking of using a 7" cigar handle , leaving the reel footring exposed and hoping to find a wood insert shaped in such a way that the top profile of the grip ,ring and reelseat would have the shape of a long reverse 1/2 wells grip. Any ideas? Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Reelseat for a centerpin/floatrod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 03, 2001 09:35AM

Jason,

I have to admit to some ignorance here as I am not familar with what you mean by a "centerpin" reel. I do suspect,however, that the only way to get what you want is going to be to make it yourself.

If you could give some more info to the dummies like me who aren't quite sure of this type set-up maybe we can get you some more info.

Posted by: Ken (---.netsync.net)
Date: October 03, 2001 06:32PM

Tom ,I can tell that you don"t fish great lakes or canada for steelhead a guy with a 13 to 14 foot with center pin reel will out fish any body ,..Using the same flies the fly fisherman use .Here is a link for centerpin reel [www.fishusa.com]

Date: October 03, 2001 07:30PM

Thanks......I dont think anyone on this board is a dummy, and I hope I dont appear as a prima donna anyway about this centerpin reel thing. A centerpin/float reel is shaped just like a large flyreel(mounts the same....hangs down) and has a exposed rim that you put your finger on to feather or stop the reel from spinning. The reel freespools (like a baitcaster when casting) so when river fishing you can let the spool freeturn as the float/bait is drifting downstream. Because I have to have my pinky finger on the rim or close to during the entire downstream drift (in order to set the hook on a fish) my hand needs to be closer to the reel. If I were to use a reverse1/2 wells grip and a normal flyseat the palm of my hand hangs over into the reelseat area and it just @#$%& to fish that way all day. I have cut off the rear 2" of a 1/2 wells grip and made the rear part of the grip as the reelseat insert and shaped out the cork so the reel would fit. This is comfortable to me as I like this grip, but being picky as I am I would like the insert to be a pretty colored maple or burl rather than cork. Thanks for listening, Jason

Posted by: Bob (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 03, 2001 07:51PM

I sent you a e-mail with a photo of the seat I think you are looking for? If so let me know and I will try to help you. Regards, Bob

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 04, 2001 08:55AM

You would think that a guy who puts out a rod building magazine would know what a centerpin reel is! Now that you describe it, I know what you are talking about.

The possibilities here are endless and this should be a fun project. Have you considered making/turning and shaping your seat and grip as one unit? This way you could fashion one end and one side from wood, but make the top half from cork all the way out. This is hard to describe in words though.

Another option would be to use something like the Fuji IPS seat and shape/turn your own grip to fit it. That would put the reel almost under the heel of your hand. No, you wouldn't have the nice wood with it, but you could fashion some other wood trim like a hosel or end cap.

Also, there is a reel foot extension, I think it is from Abel and called an "Abel Arm" that can be fitted to some reels that moves the reel down and forward. Just some ideas.

Date: October 04, 2001 04:51PM

Thankyou Tom and Bob for your input. I appreciate it. I have some things and options to look into now.

Posted by: Tony (---.bc.hsia.telus.net)
Date: October 05, 2001 02:14AM

Hi Jason. I know exactly what you mean. To help alleviate this problem, I use uplocking reel seats with a hooded insert. I shape my foregrip without the wells, keeping my palm higher up off the rim of the reel. My pinky still reaches the rim without the discomfort. Another method would be to use a "w" fitting and ring assembly but then you wouldn't have your nice wood insert.
Up here in BC, a lot of us also control the centrepin rotation using the forefinger of the hand on the rear grip thus eliminating the need for your hand on the foregrip to be so close to the reel. This is especially helpful when you have a 27 lbs steelhead bucking and thrashing downriver!
I've been using a centrepin for most of life and wouldn't driftfish any other way.

Goodluck

Tony
Peregrine Custom Rods
White Rock, BC

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster