I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Whats your favorite expoy
Posted by: Isaiah Bumagat (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 01:04AM

Im looking into getting another type of finish, Ive had too much trouble with Flexcoat Lite...any recommendations?

Re: Whats your favorite expoy
Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.nap.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 01:47AM

Threadmaster!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 02:08AM

I second Mike's recommendation................Threadmaster, both regular and Lite.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 04:54AM

Isiah,
Out of curiosity, what sort of problems are you having.

Many many folks use this product regularly with no problems.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: Dave Lester (---.nwrk.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 06:41AM

Flex Coat Lite! For real...

Threadmaster for hi build one coat.

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.122.31.71.static.ip.windstream.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:50AM

TM Lite Build.

Posted by: James Hicks (---.hsd1.md.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:54AM

Permagloss!! (not an epoxy but it's my favorite finish)

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/09/2009 07:54AM by James Hicks.

Posted by: Barry Kneller (---.)
Date: December 09, 2009 07:55AM

Flex Coat regular.

Posted by: Mike Pedersen (---.ec.res.rr.com)
Date: December 09, 2009 08:16AM

Posted by: Jim Gamble (97.106.17.---)
Date: December 09, 2009 08:23AM

I suggest you resolve your problems with Flexcoat Lite, changing brands isn't the answer. FC Lite has to be the most forgiving of all brands/types on the market, IMO. What types of issues are you having?

Posted by: Jeremy Wagner (---.sta.embarqhsd.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 09:03AM

I second Roger and Jim's questions, what problems are you having? I've found Flexcoat to be very forgiving, provided you follow the instructions.

jeremy

Posted by: Bill Ballou (---.hsd1.tn.comcast.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 09:07AM

Used LS lite for a while. But it took too many coats to level. High build I was concerned with pot life. So I mixed both lite -hi 50-50. Very good coverage with 2 coats. I know alot of builders mix different brands to get desired results. This is working for me.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 09:52AM

Figure out your problems, most are user error, not the fault of the epoxy. You have to figure out what characteristics you need out of you finish, then find the one that works best for you. OBviously ALL finishes work well, or nobody would use them...or we'd all use the same one.

I mix 2 different brands of finish (Aftcote & TM) on guide wraps, and us eTM on Dec WRaps.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 09, 2009 10:14AM

Your problem might be solved simply by switching from a "lite" formula to a regular or high build formula. The "lite" finishes have to be applied more thinly than the higher build types. Depending on what you prefer and how you apply your epoxy, it could be that a "lite" version simply isn't the right tool for the job.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 03:01PM

Tell us what the problems you are having. It is probably you or the way you are putting it on.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: December 09, 2009 09:21PM

THREAMASTER ALL THE WAY, EVERYDAY OF THE WEEK AND TWICE ON SUNDAY. You are doing something wrong....

Posted by: Eddie Taylor (---.midsouth.biz.rr.com)
Date: December 10, 2009 05:07PM

I thought I was having "problems" with FlexCoat so I tried another brand - Thread Master. In order to get my new brand right I started looking at what I was doing and changing up a few things. I observed the following:

1. Thoroughly warm parts A & B. I was using a hair dryer but I now put under a heat lamp for a few mins. Nothing fancy, a clamp on work light with a spotlight bulb in it. I get the bottles good and warm - not hot.
2. Pour out mix on a flat surface and blow out bubbles. I mix for 3 mins in a Pac-Bay mixer and was applying from the cup, but pouring out on al. foil allows to (1) blow out any bubbles with a straw and (2) does extend the pot life.
3. Like Tom said, apply and let the finish do the work. It was, and still is, painful to not tweak, brush, dub, blow, etc. on the finish - just apply and go is hard. I can't do a single wrap in under a minute but I no longer spend 5-8 mins on a single guide tweaking the coverage. Roll it on and get good coverage then let it do the rest. Results might surprise you - did me!
4. Long smooth brush strokes with fresh finish and a wet brush for decal or long coverage areas.
5. I burnish the wraps, then use an alcohol burner on the wraps to get rid of fuzz. A good magnification lens helps here. If the rod has sat for a while I will go back over - lightly - with tape. Very little pressure is needed. Just a touch to pull lint & fuzzies off.
6. I also use a faster dryer. My old one was about 4-8 RPM. I now go about 18 RPM.
7. When I use CP, don't use that often, I use U40. Good even coat, not too heavy, let sit for 24 hours and then apply finish.
8. I never go longer than 24 hours between coats of finish. If I miss that window, will rough up the finish with some 400 sandpaper.

After doing this and using Thread Master for a while I went back and tried FlexCoat again - I still like their Hi-Build - and the results were excellent. Which proved to me it was not the finish, but the user - ME.

Good luck,
Eddie

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 05:42PM

Eddie,
A couple of comments.
Unless the room is in a refrigerator, there is really no need to warm the mixture. Yes, heat will thin the mixture, but often; the heat will quicken the cure to such a point that it has already gotten too thick before it can be applied.

Mix it up for two minutes and put it on the guides.

As Tom has said many times, it generally should only take a few seconds to apply the finish. I like to use a pretty fast speed during finish application - about 50-200 rpm.

Move the rod to the slow dryer and let it go. After a few minutes go back and check to insure that you don't have any excess or lack of finish on any guide. If so, either add or delete finish on a particular guide.
Then, let it go.

If a person uses one of the thick finishes - normally you are done. Really no need to go back for multiple finishes if you do it right the first time.

Generally speaking - 5 minutes top to apply the finish on most rods.

Good luck
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.dyn.optonline.net)
Date: December 10, 2009 10:21PM

Before using any finish, I tilt the bottles and look to see if there is leftover at the bottom of the bottles. This is the solids. Usually only in the resin. I then place the bottle in hot water for maybe 20 min. Then tilt the bottle back and forth very easy and slowly to make sure it is all mixed.

Don;t shack it, will introduce bubbles.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Jason Wenzel (---.dhcp.stpt.wi.charter.com)
Date: December 12, 2009 06:03PM

Ive used flexcoat lite. worked good seemed like it liked heat to get the bubbles out. Started turning yellow after two seasons of fishing, they all might do this ive only had enough time to tell on flexcoat. Ive also used tm lite. Goes on good, levels good, definetly doesn't like heat put it on and leave it be. I didn't like the cure time, it takes almost a day to cure. I also have used the Pac Bay that came with my power wrapper. I think i like this the best out of the 3. worked good all around, very forgiving on mixing ratio.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster