I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Travel Rods
Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.53.174.193.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 07:46PM

We have recently returned from the Northern Calif. FFF Conclave, and spoke with hundreds of fly fishers, many of which have just booked flights to various destinations around the globe. The one common comment from these flying fisher folks was that the need for the muti-piece travel rod was apparently a mute issue for boarding requirements, as they were not allowed to bring any carry-on rods........ regardless of length. All rod tubes were now to be pre-inspected, and placed with baggage. It appears that many if not all of the major airlines will require this.
I was wondering if any of you have have had first hand experiance, or firm knowledge of this new development, and if it is indeed an airline industry wide ruleing?
Under the present circumstances, I and all of the fishers we spoke to feel that this would be a just and necessary requirement.
As a custom builder it also becomes a very real issue as to how a rod can best be designed to meet the requirements of the traveling client. Multi-piece rods do have many advantages beyond allowing "carry-on" abilities. But on the other hand, from a functional design stand point, there are often definite advantages to the one, or two piece rods.......... And now, these conventional rods may be re-entering the realm of the traveling angler.

Any thoughts or info on this ? Bob Meiser

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Travel Rods
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 09:00PM

A 29" rod (9 4-piece) placed from corner to corner will fit inside most suitcases. I have done mine that way for years. The problem with checking a rod tube is not so much in possible damage, but theft. The people handling them know what is inside and what some of them are worth.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.53.197.60.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 10:31PM

William, Air travel security systems have dramatically changed because of the World Trade Towers incident, and this is what I am adressing. Recent flyers have told me that there has been no carry-on what-so-ever, and wondered if anyone else has had this experiance. B. Meiser

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 02, 2001 08:17AM

Bob I just did an article for our local newsletter about the new travel restrictions and how they applied to carry on luggage,in my case it was in regards to aids used by the deaf and or hard of hearing,At this point in time the restrictions are placed both by the airports involved and individual airlines there is a growing trend among them and the FAA that carry on luggage will be confined to items of medical necessity, our newspaper had headlines stating that it is being proposed that no carry on luggage will be allowed,everything with the exception of authorized items{medical} will need to be checked in the future.

Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 02, 2001 10:03PM

Bob I understand what you meant. But if you put your rod in your suitcase and then check it, it isn't as likely to get stolen as if you just check your rod tube. From what I understand, fly rod theft is pretty common on airlines.

Posted by: Bob Meiser (---.53.177.131.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 03, 2001 12:48AM

William, I totally agree with your technique as I have done the very same thing many times, and with, for example, a 9 ft.- 4 piece rod, it is the way to go. But, most of the rods I build for clients are at minimum 11 ft. with many in the 13 to 14 ft. range. Many of these longer rods are 3 piece, some 4. This would often mean that even in multi piece, they would exceed airline carry-on criteria. In the past, upon request, most airlines woud allow these rods to be placed in the attendants storage, and then be picked up while departing the plane. This eliminated the hassel of putting these longer rods in baggage.
I guess it is all going to be a wait- and -see kind of thing. And, like John said, it will be best to contact the airline to get the latest scoop on this, as things will probably be changing on a daily basis concerning boarding procedures.
When I think about it, this is all small potatoes when you consider the present state of our country, but like many of us discussed at the conclave ; fishing trips, fly tying, rod building, and the like can be good medicine in times like this !
Bob Meiser

Posted by: jnail (---.unitelc.com)
Date: October 04, 2001 07:59PM

I had an experience several years ago fliny into memphis. I had three rods packed into a plastic case about 48" long. while it made it to where it was supposed to go, there was a nice big crease in the case, looked like it got stuck somewhere and forced through, or had something really heavy piled on it. Luckily the rods were not damaged, but the case was ruined. it wasn't a wimpy case either, I couldn't have bent it like that by standing on it!

Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: October 06, 2001 10:21AM

Guys, I think the restriction on the 4-5 piece travel rods will be around for awhile. The security is so tight now. The stuff they don't want us to bring on board is ridiculous.

I know someone who wasn't allowed to bring onboard a 8lb 2piece St.Croix casting rod. It didn't get on the plane in time either. And when he did get it. When it was loaded up a little bit, it fractured at the ferrule.

I think its time we've to rethink our packing. I for want will be packing my multipiece rod in a suitcase.

Sure will be making more 3 or 4 piece baitcasters or trolling rods. Using Ralph's article in the last issue of Rodmaker!

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: October 06, 2001 12:00PM

In response to Chris, some manufacturers seem to be taking serioulsy an increasing demand for 3 piece spinning rods. St. Croix has come out with several new models in the past year and are very nice. Might want to check it out. It could be we'll see more and more as this market demand will call for.

In Europe it's fairly commonplace that telescopic rods are part of an angler's luggage and several companies like DAM over there have been producing quality tele rods for years. We've attempted to offer a limitied number of these in Canada with very little acceptance and as a rodbuilder myself don't particularly care for them either. Don't know that this trend could develop seriously here as we just have better reasponse to be using multi-piece or one piece blanks and rods that are expertly designed in the U.S.A. and give the expected performance.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster