I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Finishing over decals
Posted by: LJH (---.tnt1.san-luis-obi.ca.da.uu.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 12:19AM

Is there some special trick to laying a thin light coat over your decals? I make my oen decals using an ALPS printer, and finish with my normal rod finish. It tends to be a little thicker than I like and would like to find another method. Any ideas????

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Finishing over decals
Posted by: Bob Balcombe (REELMAN) (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 03:06AM

When I make my own decals I use my HP 722 and use standard stock paper. I lightly spray my decal with water soluble hair spray , I give them at least 3 coats then I cut them out with a Exacto knife

Posted by: dick jones (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 09:48AM

I use flexcoat lite. It seems to level better than other finishes

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 10:08AM

You just have to put on less. Try brushing lengthwise along the decal and it will smooth out a bit better for you. With a paper label or decal you will have to have a sufficient amount of finish on there in order to fully cover all edges. You might try two thin coats rather than one heavier one.

I have used all the various finishes and see no difference in the thickness of final finish with any of them. It all comes down to your finishing technique.

Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 12:43PM

I go along with Tom,I use the Alps and the regular fish decals with no unnecessary build up,one problem with the alps is there are so many different transfer materials and many different size thickness to them,an easy way to judge is on scrap do a couple of decals and place a couple of turns of A thread next to them you should be able to cover your a thread in the normal way and you should find the decal area is level with it.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster