I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Roller Guides vs LS Supreme. . .
Posted by: Chef Jim (---.tnt2.hemet.ca.da.uu.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 09:52PM

Gentlemen,
I have come upon a reoccuring problem of my finish creeping into the roller guides and mucking up the works. I've had the last bunch of offshore rods with these guides get stuck up with finish to varying degrees. Since changing over to the finer viscosity LS Supreme, from the high build "Classic Coat" & "Flex Coat finishes, I have also changed my application technique from brush to spatula, I've had increasing problems.
Is there something I can do? Is it the combination of thinner finish and hi-speed application? I have had one or two guides stick before, but the last couple of times, paying much more attention to details I managed a grand slam!
Finish ended up not only between the roller and frame but also in the screws, bushing and the interior of the roller itself!
Your wisdom is much appreciated and thank you in advance!
Jim

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Roller Guides vs LS Supreme. . .
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.210.mhub.grid.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 10:39PM

Sounds like you are putting way too much finish on, especially with LS Supreme.

Try putting two lighter coats on instead of one. I finally determined that this is what has to be done when using anything other than 'A' thread.

Date: September 30, 2001 10:56PM

Mike,
I actually put on 3 coats just because LS is so thin. But I could probably go thinner . . .
I also use a combination "A" then "C" or "D" in triple wrapping the HD roller guides.
Thanks for the comments!

Posted by: Karen Balcombe (---.mon.centurytel.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 11:35PM

You may want to try these 2 methods. #1 try putting a little vasoline on the rollers. Becareful and do not get it on your wrap. #2 Use a ciggarett lighter and warm the rollers and then pick off the finish

Remove the rollers
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.181.mhub.grid.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 06:59AM

I used to just remove the rollers. Once you get a new protocol in place you can go back to finishing with the rollers in.

Re: Remove the rollers
Date: October 01, 2001 08:00AM

Great ideas! Never thought of greasing up the rollers or even taking them out!
I tried using just the 32 rpm finishing motor istead of applying at speed on my lathe. Took twice as long but no visible creep of finish.
Jim

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: October 01, 2001 09:31AM

Jim,

I am sure that applying the finish, or even drying it, at higher speeds will tend to "sling" the finish up the roller guide frames and into and around the rollers.

It's a pain to remove the rollers and then have to reinstall them, but after having the same problems as you (and with finishes other than the Supreme) I decided long ago that roller removal was the best solution in the long run.

If someone comes up with a better idea I hope they will share it here.

Posted by: Tom E. (---.guidant.com)
Date: October 01, 2001 08:42PM

Just now trying out my first roller guide setup, but wouldn't it be possible to place a thin layer of tape up the length of the roller guide prior to the rollers to prevent the finish from traveling past a certain distance, I would think a small ridge of tape would prevent the creep and then it would be removable leaving and edge where the tape was applied?? Maybe I will give it a try on my rod this week. If anyone tries this or sees a flaw here give me a shout.

Thanks,

Re: Remove the rollers and slow it down
Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.syd.ops.aspac.uu.net)
Date: October 02, 2001 08:08AM

I cant see the problem in removing the roller its self then trying to do every thing else. It takes more time and stuffing around than its worth. For starters if you are experiencing this then the RPM off your drying rack is to high as tom said it gets forced out and up the frame. Take a bucket of water if you stand in one place and spin it around, the water will be forced to the outside. Slow it all down and the problem will go away. Dont ever put vasoline any where near your rod while coating or even before.

Stuart Mackenzie
Australia

Listen to Stuart on grease!
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.158.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: October 02, 2001 05:04PM

Never ever grease anything on a rod or get a rod near grease. I missed that in Karen's post.

You need to get into the habit of cleaning ALL guides (feet and and body) with alcohol before you get them near a rod. This is especially true with rollers.

Clean the blank and reelseats (especially metal and unibutts) with alcohol before you start wrapping.

Clean your fingers with alcohol also before you start wrapping.

Anything you can do to keep grease away from your work will save you a pain in the arse.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster