I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

cutting a blank tip
Posted by: Warren (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2001 01:20PM

I'm probably opening a real can of worms here but................!
I "hear" at a lot of "fshing" boards about cutting a rod blank tip back to gain more casting weight. I'm no "expert",have no degrees,etc. but I think that there is a misconception in that line of thinking. By cutting back the tip the only thing one has"accomplished "is to reduce the low end of the blanks' weight range; ie a blank is rated to cast 3/4 - 3oz.lures; cut 5" from the tip and now it'll only cast 11/2 to 3oz lures effectively. Structurally a blank is engineered to cast a given range of weight and simply cutting the tip changes nothing to increase its "power" to cast heavier weights.
One will shorten the blanks length, change the action, narrow the weight range capability of the blank BUT the"power" capability is NOT increased.
If I'm wrong here please set me "right". Warren

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: cutting a blank tip
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.54.81.mhub.grid.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 04:30PM

Mostly right.

For example:

You want an 11'6" rod that will cast 'x' ounces. You may not be able to find an 11'6" blank that will do that without collapsing the tip. You can often buy a 12'0" blank and cut 6" off to gain the extra ounces.

Collapsing the tip will decrease accuracy and increase chances of breaking.

You do not really affect the overall 'power' or 'action' of the rod.

Re: cutting a blank tip
Posted by: William (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2001 08:05PM

Cutting the tip does not make the rod stiffer or stronger. The same stiffness is still there. You just move the rated casting weights up a bit. Unless you change the diameter or the wall thickness the blank is not changed stiffness or strength wise.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster