I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

blank suggestion
Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt14.tco2.da.uu.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 09:51AM

I have a fellow who wants his4wt. built on a brown blank if possible (why? I don't know). The only one that I know of (in the quality that he desires) is the Sage VPS. While I am familiar with most Sage rods, I know nothing about this series. Does anyone have any experience-good or bad- with this rod. Or does anyone know of another brown blank that I could use.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: blank suggestion
Posted by: Bob Petti (---.stny.rr.com)
Date: September 30, 2001 09:59AM

I believe St. Croix Imperial are brown. Great rods for the money.

I think Lamiglas IM700 are brown - and being offered at clearance prices on their web sites - but I don't know if they have any 4wts listed.

I think Angler's Workshop offers their own brand of blanks in brown.

You could always check with D&E rods, as they had a ton of Loomis OEM blanks for sale at good prices, and quite a few were brown.

The Sage VPS are indeed excellent rods. If they made the 486 version, I'd recommend that, as I have a 486RPL which is a fantastic rod. Depending on your customers choice, they have the VPS (old RPL) and VPS-L (old LL), both in brown.

Bob

Re: blank suggestions
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 30, 2001 10:55AM

Dan,
St. Croix SCII graphite fly blanks are chestnut brown finish. 4 wt. is available in 7'6" 2 pc. an 8' 4 pc. travel blank.
Shikari IM-6 series feature a gloss translucent brown finish with 4 wt. blanks from 7' to 9' in 2 pc. and 8'6" 3 pc.
You may check with me for further details or availability.

hope this helps.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: blank suggestions
Posted by: Elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: October 01, 2001 12:07PM

My friends are Sage dealers and althought the VPS-L is supposed to replace the LL series, they have been gravely disappointed. (So have many customers, includeing myself) One of my most favorite rods is the 7'9" 3wt. LL series. I have searched the globe for a comparable rod and yet to find one. The LL series had a "special" feel that I prefer and have been unable to match. It is a soft, slow feel but powerful enough to really spit some line out there. I am not sure about the VPS regular sereis. The DS series are brown, but I don't think you can get them in blank form. The SC blanks are ok, but if he likes a faster action and a rod with backbone, this is not the one. Good blank, but moderate action. Might by it in 5wt, then use 4wt. line if nothing else comes up.
Just my two cents worth.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster