I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

pop rod for SM
Posted by: Kevin (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 29, 2001 08:17PM

I want to get a 7' rod made up for smallmouth bass fishing. I plan to run small crankbaits deep with it. All the bass spinning and casting rods I see in the 7' range are too stiff for what I want. So I have been looking at the Loomis P842 popping rod. Any reason why this would not be a good choice? I will be using 8 to 10 pound mono on it and throwing baits in the 3/8 ounce catagory. I know it is listed as a saltwater blank but it just seems like it would be a good fit for this. Any comments? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: pop rod for SM
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 29, 2001 11:46PM

I think the P842 would do the job. Many of the coastal fishermen on the Texas Gulf Coast use that blank to make popping rods to use with 1/4oz jig heads and plastic lures such as the assassains. We cast the lures and let them sink to the bottom, pop 'em a little at a time all the way back or slowly swim them back. It is a light action blank but has enough backbone for a good hook set. I've personally landed red fish up to 8 lbs. with mine. Go for it.

suggestion
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 30, 2001 09:15AM

Kevin,
The popping blank might be a good choice. Shikari makes some wonderful popping blanks as well.

You mihght consider the new blanks which St. Croix has just made available for their crankbait series of Avid rods.
The blank is 3S70MM. The difference from the other SCIII blanks produced by St. Croix is the tip action is moderate in this blank, making it an ideal flex for quick reaction baits like crank baits and spinners. I find the medium power would be just about ideal for the situation you describe, and for a little heavier wt. crankbaits the next step up in this series would be a med. heavy 3S70MHM.

This blank series is a beautiful graphite alternative to those using S-Glass crankbait rods, but want something much lighter in weght.

Rich
Richard's Rod & Reel

Re: suggestion
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2001 09:37AM

Kevin hit the nail on the head. I forgot about the St. Croix blanks which I have used. I would definitely follow his advice. One problem that you might have with the GLoomis is the very fine tip, otherwise the blank is light and a pleasure to fish. However, the St. Croix is a real workhorse and worth the price. Why not build one of each? I wade fish alot and I have placed rod holders on my Do Net (a styrofoam ring with a fish net to hold my keepers). I carry extra rods rigged with spoons, Top Dog Jrs. and soft plastic. I enjoy catching fish with the different brand of rods. Experiment. I would be fishing today but we have a hard Northeast wind and it has mudded up my wading areas.

Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 30, 2001 01:45PM

Kevin,

You mentioned that you were looking at a Loomis popping rod. Loomis make some real fine crankbait rods that have an action like you describe. If You want the same blanks I believe that they are listed as Walleye blanks. They have a real nice action. Check into them I believe this could be what your looking for.

Bruce Young
Landing Gear

Posted by: Mike Thompson (---.gso.bellsouth.net)
Date: September 30, 2001 10:16PM

Kevin-
I've built several p842 blanks and I think it will more blank than you'll need for the lure size your throwing.This blank works great with a 3/4 oz. crankbait like a big fat free shad or a big Jerry Lorh's lure,I believe Rich and Bruce both had good sugestions for blanks that you would be more happy with. Myself I would choose a St. Croix.
Good Fishing! Mike

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster