I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

New Fuji Low Rider Guides
Posted by: Neil W. Messick (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2001 09:36PM

Has anyone seen anything in English on the new Fuji Low Rider Guides? They're apparantly available in the UK and Conoflex UK is apparantly using them on their fishing and tournament rods both multiplier and fixed spool. It seems also that Daiwa is fully committed to these guides on at least some of their line even surf rods,I've"heard" that Shamino is going to them as well. I've only seen 1 picture of one guide on a Conoflex and it looked a lot like the"entry guide" on Daiwa's Inter-line Series. I'm just a guy who builds rods for fun but I do try to keep up with what's going on.e61763@aol.com Neil

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: New Fuji Low Rider Guides
Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.ozemail.com.au)
Date: June 24, 2001 12:55AM

Neil, i would like to see some pictures of these guides. Point the direction Mate and im there.

Stuart Mackenzie

Posted by: Loren G. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 24, 2001 09:07AM

Try this link to look at them. On the english sorry I can't help.
www.fujitackle.com/lc03.html

Posted by: Stuart Mackenzie (---.ozemail.com.au)
Date: June 24, 2001 10:07AM

Looked and dont like.

Stuart Mackenzie
Australia

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.012.popsite.net)
Date: June 24, 2001 02:47PM

I saw these guides in a Fuji casting video at the Rodcrafters National, during a demo given by Todd. They are mounted backwards on the rod - the single leg goes toward the reel and the double leg toards the tip. In the video, a standard (sorry I cannot remember which) guide is compared to the "new" guide. When a cast is made, the line would bunch up really bad at the standard guide ring. When the cast was made using the new guide, it flowed through very smooth. Model of the guides: LCSG.

Anyone else see that video? Thoughts?? Billy

PS: The tip-top that comes in this new series has a lip that can be wound over with thread. Added insurance I guess.

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.012.popsite.net)
Date: June 24, 2001 02:48PM

BAH - no edit feature - The model of the tip top is MNST.

after 1 full using LCSG
Posted by: Dorge (---.il.sprintbbd.net)
Date: June 27, 2001 02:14AM

I have been using the low rider just over a year now and the following are what I have been posted about the subject.

As the name implies, that low rider design really do look like the American Low rider bike... If one look closer at the design of the law rider guides, first thing that hit me is how come the guide is so long. The fact that side rail is so long and the angle is so shallow make it the best guide for braid!! Yes braid, 0.10-0.25 mm braid. With braid and allbright knot on 0.35 mm braid, you now have a lethal weapon that is more than the ordinary can handle.
Not to mention those super small rings. Blood knots are too big and give you that two stick out edges that create way too much resistance. The smaller rings are design to control those super soft, and hard to control braid's wing knot that LOVE to tangle and break rods which has LVSG, NSG, and SVSG guides. I broke one already as I was throwing a 3 oz. :*(

Another trick I have learned, you as softer the line, the smaller the guide. With braid, you got to use much smaller guide, that increase the tip speed and give you much better control.

Good fishing (catching) <*)))))))><{

I only have one year of Japanese when I was a freshman in college, and it is over 16 year ago. What I can make out and a good chat with my friend in japan I confirm what I was suspecting all along.

the reason that Low rider is so long is to take care of the wing knots and that happen when you cast super soft line that has mass to itself (e.g. high quality braid that is also happened to be flat!!) LVSG, NSG, SVSG, even YSG all have one major problem, you can wrap line around it. Try that on a LCSG. It is impossible. The long side rail prevent it from doing so. Fuji with its 1/20000 of a second camera confirm that, in case of the soft line, as shock leader knot kink on each guide slow down that section of the line when the rest of the line still come on at high speed. What you get is wing knots that can wrap guides!!! My experience is that YSG, LVSG, SVSG, then NSG is the absolute WORST to best in my rating. With those slow camera work, Fuji has redesign the NSG and got MNSG. If you are casting BIG lure, the MNSG is your choice since the line speed is never so high and you need the clearance you get altitude to compensate for the bad aerodynamic of the lure. MNSG also have the high engage side rail design that prevent line wrap but never as focus a design as the LCSG.

As there is another reason why LCSG is the best for surf is that the guide is so close to the blank. To be frank the LCSG comes out because Daiwa come out with the linterline (I am talking the $400-$1200 one not the cheap Daiwa Taiwan made they sell in the state). The first time interline is on the surf competition, it wipe out the competition. As Daiwa use interline, no one get to buy guides. So fuji have to go back to the drawing board or it is out of business on high end stuff!!! What it discover that the reason interline get the advantage is that it gather the line into a spiral thin line fast thus all casting energy is focus. And if you recall all interline have only a small entry hole and it is light in weight. Some of the old time surf fellow argue that interline create so much friction that it cannot out cast an guided rod. The truth is that with the latest technological advance it can; e.g. teflon tubing with carbo whisker spiral ridges, multi inter SIC rings just to name a few. But those design are not cheap. Last time I check those rod go from US$800+ and can reach up to US$1700.00. To find a way to protect their market, Fuji has to come out with something better.

Now the benefit of LCSG over interline. LCSG is a guided system. That said, it got more guides that tradition asian surf spin guide setup. Example of a typical old asian spin surf 4.2M rod will use HSVSG 30, HVSG25M, SVSG20, SVSG16, and FST12. A total of only five guides including the tip. This system seems to do well, but on the hand of a experience caster, he will throw further with the high end interline rod. No question ask, it is proven. But if on the same blank with guide set like LCSG20, LSCG16, LCSG12, 2* LCSG 10, 2*LCSG 8 and MNST8 TIP the rod actually throw the furthest. The fact is that smaller the guide, the further one throws. Of course anything under a 6 that kink from the leader know will be so series it is impractical.
Another technical advantage is that now with 8 guides on the blank and the guide being so low it technically touching the blank, all those micro blank twist due to the load of the guide (because of its height) are gone. The blank is much better loaded than before and as all guided system, you get much less friction on the guide than internal spiral rings. One main factor is that you can use knots on your shock leader with guided rod, but you will die with interline design.

Hope this further clear up some confusion on why LCSG is better than anything out there is you use braid line. By the way, does any one have indeed tried braid line on their spin surf rod? If you use the older style rod, my advice is DON'T, you will break rod and guides and lethal accident may happen especially if you use pendulum cast style.

Last, on Asian surf style, the most aggressive is the 3/4 turn with mid air loading. This is quite dangerous and I would not recommended anyone without guidance try it. The style need a soft tip rod with a very fast loading back bone. I prefer 420 but I have seen people who are 5'4" with 15 ft and swing up a storm. The idea is that you swing the rod back over you shoulder at 30 degree with your back facing the ocean. as the sinker swing around and the rod flex. The second you feel the sinker weight with the first swing is loaded the rod you do the a back step and do a 180 degree which make your rod do 270. With the momentum of the sinker go the opposite, the effective weight of the sinker can easily double or triple. Then with a push and pull the line flies out. This is very similar with the sling thrower swing theory. Highly not recommended on a busy beach. But because of the soft tip a simple over the should will get you easy 120M or 150 yd if you get the right equipment.

My comment is for other people who want to try the newer generation line; ultra soft braid. NSG is used in many 1983-1990 surf rod when the japanese manufacturer want to hit a certain price point for the market.

As for your rod; First you only on a 11ft rod, which mean each ring is much closer to each other, wing knot should not be a issue for a the following reasons, 1) the guides on your rod are closer, 2) you do not use braid, 3) you got a long spool, 4) your guide count are higher (the tradition asian surf rod have 4+tip)

Then on the issue of the interline, remember we are talking dry competition here, with a taper braid line and 100g, 150 gram sinker. As I only read that much japanese, I can read that on the latest Daiwa Japanese catalog, braid surf line offer now are from 0.148 mm to 0.285 mm for surf rods, the taper part of the leader are about 90 kgF break force or 200 lb.

Just like guns, the surf master take the cleaning of their inner rod tube very seriously. Actually for the Daiwa interline surd, you can buy multiple set of inner tubes. the following URL have some info on the ease of change of the inner tubes.

[www.daiwaseiko.co.jp]

So before each competition, you load a new inner sleeve!! No cleaning, no mess...

Do not quote me, since my japanese is only this :*( good.... my last update is on 1982 Shimano aerocast 420 AX rod and aerocast 9000 EX on 150 gram with 0.15 mm line and reached 312 meter. That is published on Shimano 1982 Domestic catalog page #4 which Shimano introduce the Aerocast 9000 EX ultra long dual oscillation casting reel. The now top of the line super Aero titanium is basically the same reel with different material and lot of holes...

The MNSG are NOT made for surf rod, especially for spinning. You need the LCSG. the design is indeed superb and all old problem I have with the NSG, HVSG, are all gone. I have the guides on a catch and snatch, and my proskyer 420SS and the difference is night and day. So you know, with this guide you can even you Gorilla braid which is the most famous for wing knots when casting with heavy leaders. Fuji have gone all out on the low rider stuff, they have a complete surf accessories from kangaroo skin surf glove to special surf swivel.. The following URL will show you all.

[www.fujitackle.com]
general info

[www.fujitackle.com]
Guide specification

[www.fujitackle.com]
Are the guide spacing guideline

[www.fujitackle.com]
Are the handle

[www.fujitackle.com]
Are the guide swivel

[www.fujitackle.com]
Are the Surf Glove, with that kind of power and line, you need glove!!

[www.fujitackle.com]
Are the Spool wrap

I believe those of you who have tried the setting using the smaller guide may found it hard to believe that the cast is actually longer. And one more trick, if you being to use braid like I do, using 0.11 mm German Sumo braid (Which is 20 lb) or Berkeley Gorilla braid 25 lb you will have all kind of wing knots on the guides (can we say dangerous). But if you use the LCSG; all wing knots are gone. The reason for this is that Long guide foot that prevents the line from wrapping the guide. Also, with the effective distance form the blank to the guide is reduced so much, the micro twist on the blank because of guide height is minimized. Not to mention with more guides, the energy transfer points are also increase in number and effectiveness which gives the caster more effective power to apply to the blank.

As for the long handle some of you have mentioned. Notice the over shoulder cast I mention on a while back? The long handle allow one to do better push and pull when cast because of the length. Like all casting style, practice is the key. :*) Most Asian surf rod have a metal sand spike at the end covered by a rubber boot. Can you imagine this, took the rubber off, thrust the rod end into the sand, kneel down and you are now fighting the fish with a virtual gimbals!!

I have use the above set up without the LCSG for over 15 years and after the LCSG come out, it resolve so much problem and it is now a dream to use my older proskyer. Too bad Ryobi is gone before I can get hold of the Boron Proskyer!!

For some of you who are wondering if you need a bigger ring instead of a 20, the answer is NO. If you are throwing lure, (Plugs, which have a low casting weight to surface ratio) a bigger guide is better, but or sinker, big metal spool, due to the speed and the kinetic energy released by the blank which transfer to the sinker; the speed of the line going out will only suffer with a bigger guide. Slow motion camera work I have done back in 1981 have confirmed them (Can you line slap and energy lost in allow the virtual cone which is formed by the line to have a less sharper angle)

Any concern about the asian surf rod you are more than welcome to ask me, I shall try my best to answer. Do not get me wrong, I like my conoflex, and Zziplex with multipliers, but when spinning tackle is concern, it is hard to beat the Asian stuff.

Re: after 1 full using LCSG
Posted by: Ronald Sisseck (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: July 03, 2011 12:52AM

Your Low Rider guides are on page 90 in the <www.mudhole.com> cotalog and they are based in Oviedo,FL.. They come in black

Re: after 1 full using LCSG
Posted by: Ronald Sisseck (---.evdo.leapwireless.net)
Date: July 05, 2011 04:27PM

Got to looking at the mudhole catalog(2011). On page 88, they have Titanium guilds and on page 97, Gunsmoke Finish. They have also Micro Striping Guides (black) that look like the Low Riders

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster