I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Favorite Thread finish ........................
Posted by: Gary Amis (---.hsd1.ms.comcast.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 10:18PM

So I don't have to buy one of each I would like to know what the favorites are for thread wrapping finishes and why .... so far I have only used Flex Coat High Build but I thknk there may be better options for micro guides - I ordered some Permagloss today to try.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Favorite Thread finish ........................
Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: May 04, 2009 10:30PM

There is no best one for everyone.

The best finish is the one you can get consistent and equal results with time after time. Taking the time to learn the one you choose is where its at. I just recently switched to threadmaster and had to change a couple little things from what I used to do. Wasnt a big change, but it made all the difference.

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:26PM

I can use any of them and have used most. Some have a place for one thing, others another.

I like hi-build Threadmaster for repairs, and I keep coming back to Aftcote for everything else.

Every time I try something else, then go back to the Aftcote, it's like "coming home" again, I've decided to just stick with these two for the use's I stated above.

DR

Posted by: J.B. Hunt (---.pool.dsl.logantele.com)
Date: May 04, 2009 11:35PM

I have used Flex Coat High and Low build and Threadmaster High and Low build. I have settled on Threadmaster Low build since I usually have to apply 2 coats anyway. I love the clarity of Threadmaster. To me, the application proces is about the same for both brands.

Posted by: Christopher Tan (203.116.20.---)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:40AM

personally, i'll use threadmaster (i have both regular and lite, but have not used the lite version yet) .. not sure why, by my flexcoat seems to be have a slick surface after it cures...(both regular and lite)

-
Give a man a fish, he'll eat for a day..
Teach a man to fish, he'll be broke!

Posted by: Steve Johnson (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 02:49AM

I'll add a vote for TM lite. I switched to regular Threadmaster a few months ago and tried the Lite recently for micros. I'm sold on the Lite. If I start at the tip, it's just the right consistency for very small wraps on micros, by the time I get to the butt, it's thickened up to be somewhere between lite and regular. That's just me though. My old standard was Flexcoat regular with very good results, Threadmaster just seems to agree more with my techniques. I have also tried Diamondite but was very dissatisfied due to a hazy finish after it cured, followed directions to the letter several times, maybe a bad batch?

Steve

Posted by: Bobby Bolivia (---.nwrknj.east.verizon.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 04:16AM

for long life, as in not cracking and non-yellowing, my money is on TM and aftco. I have guys fishing 200+ days on some rods and they are holding up for years. Opposed to almost everything else i have tried yellowing and failure in under a year with no where near that kind of exposure.

I would get both the light and heavy versions of whatever you choose to see what works best for you. I think in time you will see both are needed depending on what you are doing.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.mis.prserv.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 08:44AM

My two favorites are Thread Master and recently I have tried Gene Ballard's Diamond II. Nice stuff.

Bill - willierods.com

Posted by: Steve Broadwell (66.0.6.---)
Date: May 05, 2009 09:12AM

I had the same problem with the Diamondite, and I think a lot of people have.
Too bad, as it is easy to work with and cures really hard. But, every rod I used it with had the haze problem.

Posted by: John Kepka (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: May 05, 2009 09:28AM

LS Supreme lite and high build get my vote over the threadmaster. LS has good pot life and no curing problems. Actually my first and sentimental favorite is Crystal Coat the Clemens finish. Of course it is no longer available. Pick one and do some experimentation with mixing and applying etc. Permagloss will require multiple coats not just two coats.

Posted by: Robert Russell (---.cable.mindspring.com)
Date: May 05, 2009 10:22AM

I've tried many of them and have not really had any problems with any. Only one rod over the last few years had an epoxy problem and I sell a bunch of rods to full time guides that spend nearly every day on the water. Honestly, the one problem was probably a mixing mistake on my part because the epoxy was never very hard after it cured. I regularly check out my rods because I fish with the guides that use them and they all look fine.

My favorite is Diamond II followed closely by Thread Master, both lite and high build.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster