I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Lathe options
Posted by: Don Baker (---.holton.k12.ks.us)
Date: September 25, 2001 09:40PM

I have just ordered a Renzetti Rod Lathe. I am having trouble deciding on accessories. Will I be sorry if I purchase the 1/10th horse motor with Solid State Foot Control instead of saving a little longer and getting the Master Power Pack and heavy duty turning motor. My intention is to turn a rod building hobby into a retirement business. All advice will be greatly appreciated, thanks in advance.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Lathe options
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 25, 2001 09:50PM

I have the 1/10 and it is great for about anything you want to do. I have no experience with the Power Pack motor set up so can't say if it would be better or not. I know that I am well satisfied with what I have now. I would think you will be too.

The boring tool is a real time saver for making reel seat bushings and things like that. I have also thought about getting the laser guide aligning tool but have not decided yet.

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: September 26, 2001 08:56AM

I've heard people say that you can make the 1/10th HP motor and solid state foot control creep along as slow as you want. Well, I must have a defective one because I certainly can not. Now the Power Pack, which I purchased a couple of months ago, you can. And with the press of a toe, you are changing turning directions. Want to apply finish a la Ralph O'Quinn method, not a problem. Flip the switch and you control the speed of rotation without depressing the pedal. Want to dry at 100 RPM? faster? slowers? Again, it's not problem witht the power pack motor unit.

You can actually creep that motor so slow with the foot control that you don't need the manual clutch attachment to start wraps. I have the clutch, but don't seem to find a need for it.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 26, 2001 09:51AM

The only thing about the Power Pack you need to be aware of is that it is not intended for turning operations. If you are going to turn cork and eva, or bore seat inserts and bushings, the 1/10 is the better bet. Obviously if you have the money the ideal set-up would be one of each and then you would switch back and forth between the two depending upon what you want. As John says, the Power Pack has definite advantages.

For a basic set-up that will do it all, for the most part, the 1/10 would still be my choice.

And yes John, your foot is defective. The 1/10 will creep.

Posted by: John Kreeger (---.dhcp.missouri.edu)
Date: September 27, 2001 10:21AM

I sure would like to see a creeping 1/10th motor in action (perhaps Andy Renzetti can bring one to the Rod Guild Conclave), as mine does not. Actually, I should probably ask Andy to bring a replacement for me, as it would appear I have a defective unit.

I guess I'm fairly naive. Had I known the 1/10th would go as slow as I wanted, I may not have purchased the Power Pack. Maybe I have clumsy feet?

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 27, 2001 11:33AM

I wired in a rheostat (dimmer switch) in line between the foot control and motor. This allows unlimited control. I like using my foot in a way as on/off, so I just dial the motor speed up or down accordingly. When wrapping, I set the rheo to the max speed I would want, the use the foot pedal to fine tune speed for start up of wraps etc... I can't imagine using it without it. Installed it the first time I tried to wrap, got so frustrated about not having very fine control of the motor (I must have a defective foot too) Plus trying to always modulate my foot made my lower leg tired and crampy. I bought the dimmer at Lowe's for $4.95. They make heavy duty one for electric motors, but I have yet to discover why it is necessary for this one.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster