I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

5 piece blanks
Posted by: Darrin Dembowski (70.48.201.---)
Date: March 28, 2009 01:17PM

Can anyone reccomend any 5 piece flyrod blanks in the 8'-8' 6" range for 3-4 weights ?? I see that Dave Lewis sells finished rods in this config so figure he must get blanks somewhere .
Thank you

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 5 piece blanks
Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 02:43PM

Batson makes them in the rx6. i am sure there are others as well. check with the suppliers on the left

Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.nycap.res.rr.com)
Date: March 28, 2009 04:11PM

I've seen some Dan Craft blanks in that config. I've built a couple of fly rods on his 4 piece blanks and they are great blanks.

Posted by: Eugene Moore (---.244.215.124.Dial1.StLouis1.Level3.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 05:43PM

Cabela's has a stowaway 5 piece 8-1/2' 3 weight and an 8-1/2' 5 weight .
Good price progressive action dark green blank.

Date: March 28, 2009 08:40PM

Thanks guys .

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 09:21PM

go for the dan craft FTL 8' 3wt in the 6 piece configuration. he also offers it in a 5 but he and many more would recommend the 6 for ease. i LOVED mine.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 28, 2009 09:46PM

Thanks . Are the FTL's sleeve ferrules or spigot ? (just looked at the site and couldn't see)
thanks

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.war.clearwire-wmx.net)
Date: March 28, 2009 11:35PM

Dan's ferrules are tip over butt, not many use spigot ferrules.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 12:34AM

The Batson Forecast RX6 in that configuration has been a good rod.

Posted by: eric zamora (---.dsl.frs2ca.pacbell.net)
Date: March 29, 2009 04:02AM

The batson RX6 series, which doesn't represent the lighter weight higher priced offerings out there, is always a favorite of mine to suggest, especially in the lower line weights like 3 and 4. they would make a nice rod and if ever broken (assuming the need for a 5 piece means backpacking) it wouldn't break the bank to replace it. see how i stayed away from calling it a good blank "for the value"? lol

the FTL is a much lighter blank (or at least it felt that way to me) and yes, tip over butt. and like spencer said, very few use spigots these days.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: March 29, 2009 09:56AM

Thanks everyone .

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster