I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

wire for inlay??
Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 04:22PM

A rod builder out west used to do this with tiny gold wire instead of mettalic thread. Anybody know how to do it or where to get the thin gold wire from??

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: wire for inlay??
Posted by: David Teague (---.asm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 04:54PM

I'm curious john, why wire??? I'm sure it will weigh more than thread, so what is the purpose??? The reason I ask is because I don't see the point in adding any unessecary weight

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2009 04:56PM by David Teague.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: March 19, 2009 04:59PM

The kind of weight difference you'd be talking about is absolutely nil.

I seem to recall this gentleman but can't put my finger on his name. I'm sure he used the fine wire such as that sold by fly fishing shops for certain fly patterns. That's where I'd look for it. They usually have various colors and sizes.

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 19, 2009 06:02PM

I think that would be Gary Anderson. I have tried the wire inlay a few times with marginal success. Not sure if it was because of the type of wire I was using...

Walt

Date: March 19, 2009 06:25PM

I looked in my files just now, Wolfe Rod Company was using the gold wire inlays as far back as 1983 (postmark on the catalog I received from them back then). Jack Wolfe was the owner. I had forgotten how beautiful they were. Sort of puts the ones done with metallic gold thread to shame. I'll put one of his photos up on the photo page in a few minutes.

I'm not sure of the actual technique used. It could be the same as the one we use for making regular thread inlays. Then again, it might be different.

For the record, RodMaker covered narrow thread trim bands and thread inlays in the Volume 6 #1 issue from 2003. An update, including the newer "off-angle" inlays was published in Volume 11 #6 end of last year.

Photo
Date: March 19, 2009 06:36PM

[www.rodbuilding.org]

Reading a bit of the typewritten catalog, I see where he says his "gold inlays" are actually made from brass wire.

Posted by: John Sams (---.listmail.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 06:45PM

Do the shops have the brass wire to?? HOw hard can it be is the wire bends easy?

Date: March 19, 2009 06:52PM

I don't know, but I'd guess that they do. Fly Tiers wrap it around hooks, so I would assume you could wrap it around a rod blank. It will probably help to flatten the ends of the wire to prevent a lump in the wrap.

Posted by: Rob Puskas (---.100.17.98.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 07:54PM

You can also check with your local sporting goods store, our local Gander Mt. and BPS both care it as well as any type of fly tying material.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 19, 2009 10:10PM

Us fly tiers use wire for a number of purposes, it would certainly wrap a rod. The wire comes in various thicknesses and is available in Gold (brass), silver and copper colors on spools like wrapping thread.

John if you are interested in trying some I can send you some to play with, email me.

Phishin Phool

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 03/19/2009 11:18PM by Phil Erickson.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: March 19, 2009 11:58PM

I have used wire before and believe it or not, it does look a little different than traditional Rod Thread. Inlayed in a dark thread, it looks very very rich. What I have used and will use at times is 8/0 gold or silver Fly Tying wire that is very thin and light. It is so light, you can simply pull it hard and it will break.

It comes on wood spools and that’s all I know………I use it a lot when I tie flies…..

Terry

Posted by: Steve Bro (---.mpls.qwest.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 12:26AM

I work in the tool making trades as an Extrusion tool designer, I ran EDM machines for many years. EDM wire comes in several different dia's. From .002 up to .012 or larger Dead soft Brass, very shiny.

Steve Bro
(BroCo Custom Rods)

Posted by: Scott Bazinet (---.range86-166.btcentralplus.com)
Date: March 20, 2009 02:38PM

I have experimented with a few types of wire and find Largutan brand to be the finest and brightest. The stuff I have is XF but you can get it in fine as well. It comes in several colours including royal blue.

Posted by: Bill Larsen (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: March 20, 2009 04:54PM

I have used Fly tying tinsel on lots of rods It looks very sharp. Especially the embossed tinsel. The old Herters tinsel looks the best but it's very expensive now. Just a "very small" dab of super glue on the ends and your done. Very classy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster