I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping Single foot guides
Posted by: Eric Burkhart (216.174.22.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:14AM

I just finished my first fly rod. Used standard snake guides, my next build I have SF guides,
Is it best to use glue stick for attaching to blank prior to wrapping ? I see flex coat has a flexible low melt point for this application ?
what methods are suggested to hold in place for wrapping ?
thanks Eric

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping Single foot guides
Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:38AM

I find the glue application raises the guide foot off the rod and makes it even more difficult to start the climb up the foot.

I use small pieces of surgical tubing cut into narrow rings. By using various sizes I am able to get a good snug setting with the bonus of being able to reposition the guides during the wrapping process. Others use narrow strips of masking tape.

Posted by: jack richardson (---.virtdom.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 11:53AM

I use rubber bands -- - work fine - - - - even for static tests - - - -
I have 4 marjorine containers ; each with a differen size -- - the loose end of the
rubber band is kept out of the way with a wire tie -- - - -...................

jocko

Posted by: Matt Davis (---.prtel.com)
Date: March 16, 2009 12:46PM

I use the Flexcoat adhesive.

Allows me to get all my guides set and then just wrap. I don't have to worry about aligning them or taking tape or rubber bands off. I can wrap and only wrap.

Obviously this is a personal preference type of issue.

Used properly...your guide won't be raised up off the blank...won't stick thru your wraps...squeeze out everywhere and leave a mess...

Better to have and not need than to need and not have.

Posted by: woody osborne (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 03:53PM

i have used rubber bands, masking tape, surgical tubing, slices of foam ear plugs, and even bread wrapper ties. i always do file or grind the ends of guides to allow the thread to climb onto the foot easier.

Posted by: Robert Balcombe (---.ka.centurytel.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 04:17PM

I never use guide glue!! It makes adjusting guides much harder

Good Wraps Bob

Posted by: Walt Natzke (12.22.21.---)
Date: March 16, 2009 06:57PM

I use small dental "elastics" (the rubber bands used to keep braces tight), particularly the non-latex variety as they are ultra clean.

I get mine from here:
[jawproducts.authsecure.com]

For fly rods I use the HEAVY 1/8" size, and double them over for the smallest part of the tip section.

Walt

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 09:18PM

Eric,
I have used 1/8th inch wide painters masking tape for years.
It is inexpensive, easy to use, and easy to adjust or change.
Roger

Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.37.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: March 16, 2009 10:13PM

I got some edging tape from a hobby shop for taping off detail work. It is about 1/8th of an inch and a bit stretchy so it works well on the narrow fly blanks.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster