I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Epoxy curing
Posted by: pete paschall (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 11:45AM

I just finished my first rod build and have a question about epoxy curing. I put my final coat of LS Supreme "Light Stable" formula on the wraps on Thursday afternoon. The directions say that full cure occurs in 5 days. I am dying to go cast the rod to see how it performs, and have some free time today to do that. Would it be okay to go cast in the yard today, or should I just cool my jets and wait til Tuesday to ensure the epoxy has cured fully before I put any stress on it by casting? Thanks!

Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Epoxy curing
Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 12:00PM

If I were you and I put as much time in that rod as you did. Why take the chance of something failing in the future because you did not follow manufactures advice.

There is a reason they suggest you wait that long or they wouldn’t have put it in the directions.

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 12:49PM

Wait.

Posted by: allen forsdyke (---.colc.cable.ntl.com)
Date: March 15, 2009 02:48PM

paitience is a VIRTUE not a sin in rod building Take time to tidy your bench up and put it all away (it takes me about a week LOL) then if you done that tidy the house etc but leave it alone til its had its time
The wait will be worth it

Posted by: pete paschall (---.ilm.bellsouth.net)
Date: March 15, 2009 09:06PM

Thanks for the input guys. I had a feeling that waiting would be best, but wanted the input to help me get over my impulsive ways. Turns out that a friend's dog went into labor this afternoon, so I been birthin' some babies, and the fly rod wasn't even picked up and stared at today.

Pete

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster