I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Crushing Rod Blanks?
Posted by: Ed (---.citicorp.com)
Date: September 24, 2001 01:56PM

I have a curiosity question for those that have the Rod Wrapping lathes using the metal jaw-ed chucks like the Renzzetti. What do you do to stop the chuck from crushing the blanks? Do you mount a reelseat arbor (for the butt cap) first, or do you place a plug on the inside? Do you also line the inside of the chuck jaws with tape to stop it from marring the blank? Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Crushing Rod Blanks?
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: September 24, 2001 04:41PM

Besides the masking tape around teh butt end of the blank, I cut 3 pieces of heat shrink tubing and put them on each jaw. Not only does this give me better grip with less "tightening power", I can now sufficiently hold 1/4 inch tools, such as a 3" wire wheel.

It has also "protected" my fingers from my stupidity and carelessness. I've been wacked with the jaw while grinding guides, and I think if i didn;t have the tubing on it it would've took a chunk out of the back of my fingers. Betcha I'm more careful now.

Billy

Posted by: Dwayne Rye (---.wff.nasa.gov)
Date: September 24, 2001 05:07PM

I have a set of rubber caps of different sizes (the same caps you see on chair legs. I was given about 10 of these caps from a friend that also builds rods. They work very well. If I don't have a cap that fits snug, I build up the blank with tape until it does. These caps can be bought ay Home depot also.

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 24, 2001 06:06PM

Just a couple of turns of masking tape for me. As far a crushing? Only tighten the jaws enought to keep the blank from slipping. It is very surprising how little force it takes to hold the blank securely. Now if I am turning cork on the blank, I just tighten to where I am just beyond slipping while shaping. I start with it on the loose side, if it slips a little, will tighten more and so on till it does not slip. This may be too cautious, but I would rather be that than crush a blank.

My way
Posted by: Russell (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 24, 2001 08:38PM

The best way I have found is not to put the jaws on the rod blank to begin with. Find a piece of scrap blank that will fit into the butt end of your blank snugly. If the taper does not match exactly you can build it up with tape until it does. Then close the jaws on that piece and you don't have to worry about damaging your blank. You will still want to put a few winds of tape on the scrap piece to keep it from slipping in the chuck.

Re: My way
Posted by: shaun (---.pngts.com)
Date: September 27, 2001 12:44PM

I take a piece of unusable cork and bore it slightly smaller than the butt diameter, twist the butt into the cork then clamp the cork as tight as you want. Rod will not twist during wrapping or shaping of grips

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster