I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly rod blank suggestions
Posted by: pete paschall (152.26.31.---)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:16AM

Hey All,

I'm new to rod building and this board, and it seems like the more I read, the more confused I get. I'd like to build a fly rod for use in salt water. I curently have two 8wt. St. Croix Legend Ultras and a 10 wt. Winston. I rarely use the 10 wt. so I am most accustomed to the feel of the St. Croix rods. I'd like to build a 6 or 7 wt. rod that will be comparable to the St. Croix. I know that I can buy St. Croix blanks, but I was wondering if anyone has any reccommendations for blanks that are similar to the St. Croix that are maybe a little more affordable. Thanks!

Pete

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly rod blank suggestions
Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:39AM

Hey Pete,

Welcome!

It would help if you gave us a little more information on what you are fishing for and why you want to add a 6wt or 7wt to your arsenal (not that we really need a reason).

Fish type and fly size and line needs usually dictate rod weights so let us know what you are considering there.

On blank selections, it's really pretty mind boggling. Nothing wrong with St. Croix blanks. Great company. We also have the array of Batsons/Rainshadow blanks as well as tons of others. Click on one of the suppliers sites like Mud Hole or Angler's Workshop and see the array of 7 wts available. I use Rainshadow as my first go to choice and then hit one of the local guys for me, like Dan Craft. Service, selection and quality. I also use Lamiglas for a lot of my non-fly needs, but they have a respectable line up of fly rods as well.

Shoot us some more details and you'll get a better response from folks that are fishing the same species and water you do.

Terry

Posted by: Herb Ladenheim (---.hsd1.fl.comcast.net)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:41AM

Look at the Buy/Sell tab on this site. I have two #7 Dan Craft blanks for sale. Price is right. Click on Dan Craft on left border for description of blanks. Contact me if interested hladen@hotmail.com
Herb

Posted by: Mike Carter (---.99.116.esconett.org)
Date: January 23, 2009 09:42AM

I can recomend a FT blank from Dan Craft. I recently built a FT 904-5 as my low wind flats caster. It has landed Red fish up to 29" and can punch through 10-15 mph wind with ease yet can cast short for that sudden tail that pops up.

This rod is a joy to fish with. It out performs my Scott Xi2 and my Sages. I wish I could justify building in the heavier ranges to replace those other rods, But the wife might have somthing to say about that.

Posted by: pete paschall (152.26.31.---)
Date: January 23, 2009 10:08AM

Thanks for the suggestions! I fish the Southeast coast of NC mainly sightcasting to redfish, but also for bonito, Spanish Mackerel, and false albacore. I wanted a slightly lower weight rod for those slick calm dog days of summer when wind isn't an issue and it might be fun to downsize tackle a little, especially for smaller reds and for the Spanish. I will definitely check out the above suggestions. I have read good things about both the Batson Rainshadow blanks and the Dan Craft.

Pete

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 23, 2009 11:15AM

pete, i fish the carolinas and prefer fishing the coast. my personal rods are st croix sciv and dan craft ft. there are many others out there that are excellent blanks, but you won't go wrong with these two

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster