I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Z-Axis equivilant
Posted by: David Swiderski (---.dsl.bngr.epix.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:19PM

Was looking at a Sage Z-Axis 5 weight the other day at a fly shop and ......well..you know the drill. I now wanna build one. But I don't want to spend $315 for the blank and I don't want a 4 / 5 piece rod. Anybody know if there is an equivilant blank out there in two piece? Most of the faster action blank makers have gone to travel rods and Kerry Batson tells me they are no exception. I can find moderately fast actions in two piece, but no specs that seem equal to the Sage. One fellow here, don't remember who, said the std Batson RX7 casts as well as his Winston.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Z-Axis equivilant
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:40PM

Check out the CTS blanks at Fishsticks4u. I have built two fly rods using those blanks and are very nice.

Date: January 16, 2009 08:47PM

Not a two piece in the lot, Ellis. I guess they took two piece out of the line

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.230.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:03PM

You pay for the NAME !! Look at some of the suppliers here such as Batson.
heck it's your money.

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 16, 2009 09:08PM

Bill

I've ben in contact with Karry Batson. he has been kind enough to reply to my questions. I am looking at their Standard RX7 in 5 wt. Very Affordable, but I've never handled the blank. The Batson RX7+ or the RX8+ would get the nod from me but there are no two piece rods in that lineup.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/16/2009 09:09PM by David Swiderski.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2009 09:51PM

Remember that the Winston's and Sage's are made with the same materials and by the same process that other blanks are made with. So don't rule out getting a top performing rod just because they don't cost an arm and a leg.

Re: Z-Axis equivalent
Date: January 16, 2009 10:34PM

Thanks Tom. That is mainly my reason for the inquiry. I've been at this for a long time, but mostly for a few friends and myself. The Loomis SCIV might fill the bill for a fast 2 piece five weight at a more reasonable price. I know there are a number of less expensive blanks out there, but most are rated moderately fast and I already have that. The other variable is the ratings game. One guy's fast is another's moderate.

Oh well, the learning is part of the journey

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2009 10:57PM

Not if you use the CCS system - it's purely objective and based on a relative scale. You're correct on all else - the manufacturer ratings are just subjective opinion.

By the way, I'm sure you'll realize this once you see it, the SCIV blanks are made by St. Croix.

Date: January 16, 2009 11:05PM

I knew that. I hadn't given St Croix a thought until I started doing more searches tonight. I found them just before I responded the last time. And you have to have blank in hand to use the common cents system.

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.89.123.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:47AM

How about Dan Craft Ent

Bill - willierods.com

Date: January 17, 2009 11:16AM

Bill,

Nice stuff there according to the reviews..But no two piece 5 wt on the web right now. The five rivers blanks have gotten some nice reviews

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.193.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 11:29AM

The two-piece Gatti blanks provide about as fast an action as anyone could want. The trade-off for the performance of this blank at distance is you may find yourself handcuffed at close range unless you overline the rod considerably.

Date: January 17, 2009 12:07PM

Phil,

Thanks. I expect that will be the case with most if not all of the fast action blanks.

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 07:45PM

Dave,
You might check the CCS data page and see if the rod blaks you are considering or comparing are listed. They list the Action Angle which is a relatively good measure of the action. You can find the CCS Data page on the left hand side of this web site.

Mike Blomme

Date: January 17, 2009 08:21PM

Mike,

Thanks for the tip. Wouldn't you know it there are no Z-Axis listed and the St Croix does not have the configuration I'm looking at either. Such is life!

Dave

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 01/17/2009 08:21PM by David Swiderski.

Posted by: Mike Marrone (---.hsd1.de.comcast.net)
Date: January 17, 2009 09:42PM

There is a 4 piece 9' 5wt z-axis blank listed on the common cents data page.
Z Axis 5, 9, 4, 5.65, 67 Gil Mc Millan (mfg line wt, length, pieces, ern, aa)

Date: January 17, 2009 10:12PM

Mike,

I missed the Blanks page. Thanks. The ST Croix and ZX are very close with their numbers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster