I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Guide placing
Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 04:55PM

Hi ,
I am gonna need little help. I bought 7' spinning rod wt. line 4 - 10 lbs. For placing guides I used the new guide concept system and I ended up with 9 guides + tip. I think that is too much.
I did everything what Tom Kirkman described in Rodmaker magazine and in his Rod building guide. He says that you should use the smallest guides from choke guide to the tip( same size) and distance shoul be 4-5 inches that means 5 guides. If I will take one off the distance will be more than 5 inches and that is not right for light spinning rods.
Same with guides from choke guide to the butt distance is 7.5-9.75-9.25 inches I used only 2 guides.
I would like to know if it is ok or there did I make mistake.

Guides I used : 25, 16, 8, 7choke, 5x7 + tip

Thank you for your help Jerry

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Guide placing
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.40.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:13PM

run some line through it and test it. take out a few of the size 7 guides and test again. I wouldn't use over 7 for that rod maybe 8 total. Just play around with the spacing until it flexes right and the line runs true to the flex of the blank.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:15PM

You did everything okay. How does it cast?

Per the article, you can remove one of the running guides, shift to a little more progressive spacing on the tip and try casting that as well. Use whichever seems to work better for you.

You're probably a lot closer than you think.

Posted by: Sean Cheaney (---.cfl.res.rr.com)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:49PM

Just play with it...if you can remove one and still keep everything proper under load, go for it.

Posted by: Jeff Friend (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 05:49PM

Jerry, Many times I end up using more guides & I used to think I was messing up too. But as Tom has stated, you are probably right in your results. The only thing you might try is smaller running guides & stretching them out a bit. Stop when you get the best results.
Jeff

Posted by: matthew jacobs (---.41.30.71.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 16, 2009 08:24PM

If it flexes and casts well, I would leave it like it is. But like has been said, play with it and see how it feels.

Posted by: Jerry Hirsch (---.neo.res.rr.com)
Date: January 17, 2009 04:56PM

Thank you for your help !!!!! Jerry

Posted by: Mark Pearson (---.apacn.com)
Date: January 19, 2009 06:51PM

Jerry,
I just completed a 6'6" ultra-lite that uses a small Shimano reel. I ended up using 9 guides (25, 16, 8, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, 6, TT). It turned out to be exactly what I needed when I did the static test. Do a static test and see if it isn't the right setup.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster