I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fly Rod Stripping Guides
Posted by: rick brixon (---.gvllcmtc01.gnvlnc.ab.dh.suddenlink.net)
Date: January 15, 2009 04:52PM

I am confused on how many stripping guides are recommended for a fly rod. In Tom's book he recommends an additional stripping guide 3 to 4 inches ahead of the butt stripping guide, but not included as part of the static test, and the same size as the second stripper. This creates three stripping guides. Am I correct in this assumption?
Also, on a nine foot rod one should start with 9 guides and a tip top. Should this be two strippers and 7 "regular" guides?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fly Rod Stripping Guides
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 15, 2009 09:05PM

No, I didn't recommend it - I only suggested trying it. There is only 1 stripping guide on a fly rod - that would be the first guide. All the rest of the guides are running guides.

In the book I did for Amato, I suggested trying the addition of a "line taming guide" which would be a guide located about 3 to 4 inches past the stripping guide and one size smaller than the stripping guide. You can add this on after you've built the rod and test it with, and without, to see if it makes any difference in your casting distance. When used with lighter, very supple lines, it often does. With heavier, stiffer lines, it often makes zero difference.

Because it's an addition to, rather than part of, the regular spacing, adding it or removing it can be done after the rest of the guides are set.

Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: January 15, 2009 10:17PM

Rick,

I noticed you said that you were going to use 9 guides plus the tip on a 9 foot rod. That's great if your static test works out OK with that. I don't know if you've missed it or not, somewhere along the line, but the rule of thumb is 1 guide for each foot of length + 1, then the tip top. No disrespect or negativity intended, just making the point in case you missed it, and for the mutitude of newbie builders amongst us.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Tim Veale (---.sh.cgocable.ca)
Date: January 19, 2009 10:11AM

I'm a newbie to this forum but have build several flyrods of 8-10 weight in 9 -14 foot lengths.
Don't mean to hijack this thread but think this might be the right spot to ask this additional question about stripping guides. If I put, say a #12 "line taming guide" ahead of a #16 stripping guide, which way should the double guide ring supports face? Does it matter and if not, which way would be less likely to jam a half frozen flyline on its way out?

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster