I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Sage VT2 Blank
Posted by: Peter White (---.37.234.161.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 07:24PM

I am new to this site but I love it. Thank you all in advance for your help.

I am starting my third fly rod.

The first two were two piece blanks, Rainshadow 7'6" 3 wt. and G Loomis F1088 8wt. that I built last winter w/out the benifit of this site. I have learned so much already just searching this site for information. When I made the the first two rods I had read somwhere that the guides are mounted opposite the spine so thats what I did. From you guys I am reading that most custom builders mount the guides opposte the spine axis or what I understand as the high side if the blank were rolled on a straight surface.

My next project is a four piece 9' Sage VT2 5 wt. "590-4 B". The blank came with china marker dots on each piece at the ends as if the manufacturer has already determind where the spine/axis is. My question is, do I disregard these marks and go about my business as I have in the past or are these marks important and should I mount my guides opposite them.

When I put the rod together and align the marks, the rod acts like I have indeed found the spine when using the rolling on a table method.

Best Regards
Peter White
Lyme, CT

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Sage VT2 Blank
Posted by: Ellis Mendiola (---.dsl.hstntx.swbell.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 09:26PM

I may be wrong but I believe those dots are there so that you can align the pieces in the straightest axis possible and not necessarily on the spine.

Posted by: Anonymous User (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 10:23PM

A better question than the one you asked is to do a search here on "spine" and like Ellis says I also think the dots are for the straightest axis.

Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 11:25PM

I'm not sure any rod manufacturer splines there factory rods, I don't either. Some myths die hard.

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: January 07, 2009 10:11AM

Sage does not spine their rods. The Sage alignment marks indicate the straightest axis.

You can use those, or not.

Posted by: Peter White (---.37.234.161.adsl.snet.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 10:37AM

I have taken the time to read all or most of the comments on this topic and apologize for beating the horse. My plan is to check each piece for straightness and wrap the guides on the low side. If the factory dots coincide with what I see then good for Sage, if not, I will trust my own eye.

This is what I have learned from you. If I am off-track let me know.

Best Regards
Peter White
Lyme, CT

Date: January 07, 2009 11:52AM

It won't make or break the rod either way, but I think you're on the right track. Although as custom builders we pride ourselves on building rods that are (should be) better than commercially made rods, keep in mind that Sage rods are highly regarded by most who use them. So they know at least something about how to align their rods for assembly.

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 07, 2009 07:50PM

I do not believe the spine makes an iota of difference if it is up or down vertically! On a 4pc 5 wt it could make a slight difference if the spine is 90 degrees to the vertical on the top section, but most would never notice it in actual use.

Modern graphite rod technology has virtually put the "spine issue" out of business!

Date: January 07, 2009 09:41PM

Actually, the dynamics of the lever arm effect of the guides meant that spine was never an issue to begin with.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster