I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Grip questions
Posted by: Jon Sherwin (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 07:39PM

New on here but I've been reading/searching all day. I've built a couple of fly rods before, but it was back when I was 16, about 5 years ago. I used preformed grips for both of the fly rods. I'm getting ready to start a new fly rod here soon and I want to turn my own fly rod grip. My girlfriend's dad does woodworking and he has a lathe I can use for turning the grip. Now for my questions... I'll be using a mixture of cork, burl cork, craft foam trim rings, and the checkerboard rings from mudhole. With the wood checkerboard rings, will i still be able to turn the whole grip with sandpaper? Also after I have the grip turned, what kind of finish should I apply to the entire handle? I've read some stuff about cork sealers that I assume I could use on most of the grip, but should the 1/2" wood section I'm planning to have need a different finish applied? I'm not particularly looking for the entire handle to be shiny, just want some added protection. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Grip questions
Posted by: Ked Stanfield (---.40.55.139.dynamic.ip.windstream.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 07:54PM

to turn a grip on a lathe you will need two things a mandrel and a chuck for the wood lathe. I got a craftsman drill chuck that was about 24 dollars and the mandrel i got was from Lamar tackle about 9 bucks. the chuck fits perfectly into the headstock of the lathe.

I built a grip much like the one you are planning to build. I used 60 grit sand paper to turn the cork and a small gouge and the scraper to turn the wood ring then used 320 grit paper to finish the whole thing. if your lady friends dad has a wood lathe he will have all of the turning tools. I didn't use any sealant on my grip but you could use the cork sealant and a clear coat for the wood.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: January 04, 2009 08:54PM

The one thing that you have to be aware of is that all of the materials sand at very different rates and if you're not very careful, the softer materials will end up lower than the wood. Wrap you sandpaper around a piece of wood and make a sanding "block" to ensure a smooth, even result

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Posted by: Phil Erickson (---.dsl.sfldmi.sbcglobal.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 10:17PM

As noted above, the materials you mentioned sand a different rates, so you need to reduce the diameter of the wood checkerboard rings while not reducing the cork too quickly or too far. I have found the a wood rasp works very well on the wood and I actually turn the wood down to very close to the ultimate diameter before I glue the grip together for the final turning. The comment about using a "block" type device is very sound as using just sandpaper will round down off the wood and lower the cork too much. Be careful so that when your done you have the nice piece your planning.

Phishin Phool

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.mclnva23.covad.net)
Date: January 04, 2009 11:35PM

Here's something we developed along the way - we make a small sandpaper dowel by gluing a very narrow strip of sandpaper to a length of it. We sand only the piece of wood or cork insert we're after. A trick is to turn the sanding strip slightly at an angle to the trim ring, making sure to touch only the trim ring. This is just a variation of the sanding block approach. We get the various pieces very close in diameter to each other - it takes a bit of patience and a soft touch, but it's worth it.

We also use 1/2"-wide strips of paper held at about a thirty-degree angle to the whole assembly to periodically smooth the whole thing by moving it gently along the entire length of the grip.

- hope that helps.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.socal.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 12:04AM

Jon, I turn down handles like you are building all the time….It is pretty straight forward. Use sand paper 2 inches or wider and turn the handle down at 1500 RPM or a little faster and you will not have a problem. I turn handles down with Ivory, Buffalo Horn and Hard Wood and I never have a problem. Also when you are using your finer grit papers, you can slow it down if you like. You can leave the cork untreated if you like, I have handles that were made in early 1990’s and they are fine. But you can put polish or CA on the handle and wood too…….In my gallery you can see the difference between the CA treated grips and the ones where the cork was untreated.

Good Luck

Terry

Posted by: john timberlake (---.triad.res.rr.com)
Date: January 05, 2009 07:42AM

you have received good advice. you are about to embark on a whole new adventure-Turning. it is a whole world unto itself and you may soon be turning pens, game calls, pepper mills, reel seats, etc. when you sand make sure you have something that spans the differing materials and it will help to keep them even. those checkerboards are pretty cool and make great handle accents. good luck with your project

Posted by: Jon Sherwin (---.hsd1.wa.comcast.net)
Date: January 06, 2009 12:23AM

Thank you to everyone that responded. Just the kind of information I was looking for, this place has such a wealth of fantastic information, I love it.

Jon

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster