I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Spiral Wrap casting distance tests results
Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:16AM

I thought I'd like to report the results of my initial tests of casting distance performance of the spiral wrap for baitcasters.

I used a low modulus 5'6" graphite rod that I'd just converted into a 3 piece rod based on Ralph's latest article in Rodmaker (excellent piece, it certainly works).

I taped up the guides conventional style and cast it, then re-taped them spiral wrapped as per Don Morton's method. Guides used were hardloy.

Result - no difference in max distances at all! Max average casting distances were to within a foot.

Other things to consider, being a short rod and low modulus (and 3 pieces rod too), with a light spoon of 6gms. The acceleration and speed of the line going out is not as high as a surf rod or longer 7 foot baitcasters. There maybe a possibility that performance maybe reduced in those cases. Or maybe not. I haven't tried that out yet.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Spiral Wrap casting distance tests results
Posted by: Bruce Young (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 11:07AM

Chris,

How many guides were used for the conventional method and how many were used with the spiral wrap? I'm sorry but I can't agree with the results you've found. I have built many spiral wrapped rods and one of the unique characteristics they enjoy is the ease of casting and distance. When a customer test cast these rods, They litteraly sell themselves. Guide placement is paramount with these rods. I use as many as 9 to ten guides on rods 6 to 61/2 foot.

Maybe you need to try using more guides and possibly smaller ones to allow the line to shoot through the guides with little or no line chatter. That is the secret to distance.

Don't give up on the test casting, sounds like you're on the right track.

Bruce young
Landing Gear

Re: Spiral Wrap casting distance tests results
Posted by: John Britt (---.tampabay.rr.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 11:11AM

I am not sure if every rod built using the spiral wrap method will improve casting difference,what it will do always if done correctly is improve rod stability.

Other reasons for spiral wrap
Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 21, 2001 03:16PM

Although I agree the spiral wrapped rod will perform with good casting distance, the objective is more in rod stability as John states.
Other features spin off from the stability, such as better fish handling and enxtending durability by having less tip torque.

Perhaps the differentiation has to be made between performance and just extending or maintaining casting distance compared to conventional guide placement. Overall the spiral wrap is superior in handling and performance, but as Bruce stated that the guide placement is a most important consideration to have the desired casting distance. Might also consider the TYPE of guides you'll be using and also the kind of line matched with the reel.

All these factors go into improving performance. Using suboptimal reels and lines would defeat the purpose to increase rod perfromance, whether spiral, conventional, custom or factory.
I'm a convinced fan of the spiral wrap on most levelwind reel situations, but it can be a difficult visual thing to accept for many anglers.

IMHO

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Re: Other reasons for spiral wrap
Posted by: Charlie2 (---.dialsprint.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 06:27PM

As I stated some time before, if a blank is wound with the same number of guides and spacing as a guide on top, there will be little appreciable difference in casting(distances). If you spiral wrap the same blank with with more and smaller guides a la the new method, it has to cast farther and better. During my research, I wrapped some of my rods many different ways just to see if the wrap was what it was cracked up to be. My 7 foot popping rod, formerly wrapped with 7 guides with the guide on top method then spiral wrapped with 9 guides, showed a dramatic difference. I am tempted, just for grins, to take the guides off my new rod and wrap it guides on top and chart the differences. I will, however, rewrap it with the spiral. My old 'meat pole', the one with the identity complex, has seen life as a spinning rod, a guide on top conventional and now with the spiral wrap just keeps getting better and better.

If you only get rid of the wrist fatigue caused by rod torque with the wrap, it's worth the money and effort, but there are other benefits to the wrap.

Let me issue a caveat at this time; IMHO! C2

Re: Other reasons for spiral wrap
Posted by: chris-flying fish (---.jaring.my)
Date: September 21, 2001 08:38PM

John, you've misconstrued my posting. The tests were done to see if there was a significant difference in casting distance. The issue about rod stability wasn't brought up because by now it was obvious what the advantages of the spiral wrap are.

Bruce - Both guide set ups were almost virtually the same in guide number and sizes. Using the Fuji New Concept system of guide number and sizing, which I've been using for 3 years now. Only difference in guides was the lower part where there were additional guides for the spiral portion. So the spiral wrapped rod had 2 additional guides between the butt guide and the set up guide to spiral around the line. So 8 guides and tip top for conventional, plus 2 more for the spiral. This rod is only 5'6"

So Bruce you say that using spiral is expected (if built properly) to increase casting distance over the conventional set up with the same guide set up(almost)? I'll continue working on the higher end rods and see.

My test last week
Posted by: Mike Bolt (---.50.55.18.rlgh.grid.net)
Date: September 22, 2001 07:48PM

12', 2-piece surf rod used as king mac anchor rod casting 6oz. anchor weight.

Distance was affected. Not as much distance as with exact same setup using same number of guides with standard wrap.

Accuracy suffered greatly. Rod felt like it was uncontrollable similar to casting a heavy weight with a spinning setup that was under-blanked.

The fighting rod spiral wrap has promise.

These were my first spirals so I may try tweaking the setup on the surf/anchor rod.

Re: My test last week
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 22, 2001 09:19PM

We know that the casting distance can be as good or better and the accuracy is unaffected so you may need to do more work on your set-ups. Sounds like you didn't get something right. Surf rods are fairly new to this set-up so there is probably going to be some trial and error until you get the results you want. I spend some time dialing mine in and now wouldn't think building another rod with the guides on top. Bass or surf!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster