I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Removing Reel Seat from Fly Rod
Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: December 05, 2008 01:15PM

I have a factory rod that was my first fly rod ever and now I want to change all the hardware. I am not worried about removing the guides and re-wrapping. However...how does one proceed to remove the cork handle and reel seat? If it helps, the rod is a Sage DS II (discontinued model).

I apologize if this topic has been discussed many times before, but I cannot locate anything via search.

Thanks,

Tony

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Removing Reel Seat from Fly Rod
Posted by: Matt White (---.den1.dsl.speakeasy.net)
Date: December 05, 2008 01:36PM

I am sure if you search under the topics you will find lots of information on this, but using a heat gun, or boiling water will usually work well for both seat and cork.

Matt White

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2008 01:39PM

If you do not wish to save the pieces, then I'd spiral cut the seat and "pop" it off. The cork can be shaved off and then sanded down to near blank level. The new grip can be installed over what little cork remains in place.

Just be careful not to cut into the blank during either operation.

Posted by: Tony Scott (38.102.29.---)
Date: December 05, 2008 04:25PM

Hi, Tom.

When you say "spiral cut", so you mean cut through only the seat and not to the blank, completely around the seat at a number of points?

Thanks,

Tony

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 05, 2008 04:30PM

Sort of. Just cut into the seat all around the circumference and then insert a screwdriver into the opening and "pop" "pop" "pop" until it all breaks loose.

If you have a wood insert, cut and split the metal portion and remove. Then the wood can usually be split by tapping one end with a chisel.

Posted by: Jeff Shafer (---.phil.east.verizon.net)
Date: December 06, 2008 09:56AM

I boiled off four fly rod reel seats over the last week or so. Be careful, one of mine was somewhat stubborn and I let it boil a long time. While cleaning up the butt section of the blank I noticed that it deflected a millimeter or so to the side. It was a low end blank that I had built on so I wasn’t concerned enough to not go ahead with the re-install of a reel seat. Before re-installing I tested the strength of the butt section and it was still very sturdy.

Jeff

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster