I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Fish eye
Posted by: Scotty Raebel (---.dyn.centurytel.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 08:20PM

One more rookie problem, fish eye in finish, OK I understand to keep my grubby little paws of the thread, but I removed the guide and rewraped the guide, making SURE not to touch the thread, guess what fish eye came back, I think in the same spots? can it be oil or silicone or grease maybe on the blank that came back thru, also I am putting on CP. going to go out and do a test wrap and finish to make sure its not on the spool of thread but I dont think so. Thanks guys for all your help.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Fish eye
Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 09:08PM

Scotty,
Whenever having a suspect location of contamination, I use Xylene to completely clean the blank with a clean cloth.
By using Xylene to wipe down the blank - before wrapping and applying finish - I have solved all of my fish eye problems.

Take care
Roger

Date: December 03, 2008 09:12PM

So roger I understand it could be on the blank, I just did a test finish and it looks ok, what is Xylene and where can I get it. thanks

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (Moderator)
Date: December 03, 2008 08:48PM

A single large fish eye is rarely a fish eye at all, but rather a large air bubble crater. But, that's not absolute. Try a good cleaning and then recoat and see what happens.

Posted by: Bob Balcombe (---.jax.centurytel.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 08:58PM

You can wipe down the blank with Acetone or denatured alcahol. Do not let it dry on the blank. Wipe dry emediately.
Good wraps Bob

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: December 03, 2008 09:11PM

I'd be careful with zylene. Pretty unhealthy stuff. [www.pesticideinfo.org] I would also test it on a hidden area of the blank to make sure it doesn't damage the finish (not all finishes are created equal)

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 12/03/2008 09:14PM by Mike Barkley.

Posted by: Terry Turner (---.hsd1.or.comcast.net)
Date: December 03, 2008 10:15PM

You can use Xylene or Acetone for cleaning, but for most uses, denatured alcohol is plenty of solvent for rod building needs. If you have silicone or oil problems Goo Gone is a great alternative to getting off oily stuff or glue from labels.

I use acetone on rare occasion to clean a brush, but I always have a couple gallons of denatured alcohol on hand.

Terry

Date: December 03, 2008 10:25PM

Okay will use alcohol, but to toms comment, I have tried a second coat and the epoxy just keeps wicking away from the same area, twice now, But my original question is could the problem been something I got on the blank?

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 12:04AM

Terry,
If you check the label on Goo Gone, you will find that one of the principal ingrediants is Goo Gone.
I use either, which one happens to be handy.
I do think that Goo Gone is a bit less toxic than Xylene.

--
Scotty,
Xylene can be obtained at any paint or hardware or big box store in the paint department. It is commonly used as a thinner or cleaner for Epoxy paint. That is one of the reasons that Xylene makes such a good cleaner for Epoxy.

---
If the epoxy keeps wicking away from a spot on the blank, it is likely that there is some sort of oil or silicone on the blank. That is why the use of a fairly agressive cleaner like acetone or Xylene generally works pretty well in such instances.

Take care
Roger

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.248.79.230.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 02:30AM

Yes it could be on the blank. Try a cleaned with alcohol, scrap blank with thread and finish, and a spot with out thread, if it is good, it is your blank. Strip, clean and re wrap .Wash you hands well !!!

Posted by: Duane Richards (---.rn.hr.cox.net)
Date: December 04, 2008 09:54AM

Scotty,

To fix your issues you have a couple of options:

spray a couple light coats of Krylon fix-a-tif over the area, let cure, re-coat

lay down a couple coats of CP over the area, let cure and recoat (your sealing down the problem with both these)

Coat the area with new finish, let the area fisheye again, STAY WITH the rod, as the finsh thickens, you can work the thick finish over the area AT THE RIGHT TIME and it wont fisheye again because your finish is so thick. Lightly heat the area with a cig lighter IF NEEDED to smooth out the thickened finish-1 more thin coat may be needed later. It's a tricky, time consuming, PIA way to do it, but I've had success doing it this way before I found the Fix-A-Tif. I consider the fix a tif something that my shop bench HAS to have 24/7 or I wont even tackle things like decals and such.

DR

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster