I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Wrapping on guides backwards
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 20, 2001 12:17AM

WIth all that is going on this past week, I've had a lot of time to work on rods. Of course, as I sit in my room working on a few rods, I have a brainstorm (well, not quite a storm)about wrapping with single foot guides.

I am building a couple of rods (Lami CGBT781L & ML) to be used with 20-25 pound test. I am going to use single foot fly guides on the tip section of a spiral wrapped rod, as well as the running guides for a spinning rod. The only way I see it possible for the wrap on a single foot gide to fail, is if it "slides" out from underthe wrap towards teh tip. Using a securtiy wrap of 5 turns, I've read, has cured this problem. These rods will be used to hoist 7-8 pound Bluefish and Striped Bass from the water up about 8-10 feet onto the boat. I am fearful that the 5 turn security wrap will not prevent the guide from slipping out

Has anyone tried wrapping on the single foot guide backwards? This woud definitely prevent the guides from slipping. I know it'll look funny, but can't look much "funnier" than the guide spiralling around the rod. I could (and probably should) use a heavier guide for this rod, but I like the single foots.

Any opinions?? BIlly

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Wrapping on guides backwards
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 20, 2001 09:24AM

A security wrap of just 2 or 3 wraps will prevent this from happening. It's not how many wraps you make on the back side of the guide, it's giving the guide a "stop" to butt up against. Wrapping a guide in reverse will not change the scenario and you would still want to make the security wrap.

In the Volume 4 #6 issue of RodMaker we will feature the "Forhan Locking Wrap" which is an even more secure way to wrap a single foot guide.

Posted by: Mike (163.206.48.---)
Date: September 20, 2001 11:58AM

Billy,

I've used the single foot fly guides (alconite rings) on a few spinning rods to catch redfish up to 25 pounds. The guides appear a little delicate to hoist fish as you describe but the only way to find out is to try! I use the three turn security wrap although I've never had a guide pull out even without it. If it makes you more comfortable, use finish without color preserver for better thread penetration. As for your idea looking funny, with a dark wrap over a dark rod the reverse orientation would hardly be noticeable.

Date: September 20, 2001 12:13PM

Single foot guides of most any variety, are very much overbuilt for the job they have to do. Even on most medium duty saltwater rods you will never put more than a few pounds of pressure on any guide. Most single foot guides can sustain, on a direct upwards or downwards load, sustain about 35 to 40 pounds before they distort. Sideways loads in the area of 10 lbs are easily accomodated before any distortion occurs.

When single foot guides come loose from their wrappings, it is usually the result of poor wrapping and/or finishing, or simple abuse, and not any inherent design flaw with the guide itself.

Date: September 20, 2001 12:30PM

Tom, I think it is Rich Forhan who tested various guides and is preparing another article on just how much pressure is needed to cause a guide to fail. Any idea when this article will be in print? I've seen Don Morton drag a 15 pound table with the single foots taped on, so I understand that distributing the load properly is of utmost importance. I'm trying to prevent a boo-boo when fishing the rod - wouldn't be cool if I let a potential customer use my rod, and one of the guides popped out (Yikes!)

Articles
Date: September 20, 2001 12:43PM

Rich has such an article in the works and it should run early next year. Maybe in the Volume 5 #1 issue. By the way, RodMaker is making some more improvements for Volume 5. Better paper, more content, more....... well you'll see.

Posted by: Bill OConnor (---.z216112040.bos-ma.dsl.cnc.net)
Date: September 20, 2001 12:49PM

Billy,
I have used BLVLG guides on 9ft and 11ft graphite surf rods for several years and have not had on fail. Guys often do not think a "single leg" guide will stand up, but they do. By the way the 11ft rods are used for oth plugging and bait fishing. I am starting a SW1208 Rainshadow conventional rod for myself and plan on using the BSVLG's on it. I know you have been doing spiral rods. Any casting rods 9/10ft? I am wrapping a 7ft boat rod spiral wrap now.

Glad your OK

Bill O

Thanks Bill
Date: September 20, 2001 01:05PM

At this time, I am unable to build any rods over 7'6. I only have 8 foot of bed + the room I am working on is not long enough to handle a 9' rod. About 3 weeks ago, I believe Charles Smoote posted he has built a couple of longer rods used for the surf with spiral guide placement - with no noticeable difference.

I've only built 4-5 rods with the spiral wrap - all Inshore saltwater rods for Bass, Blues, Blackfish and Fluke. I should have a lot of time to actually fish these rods, since my company estimates it will be approximately 30 days before I am able to go back to work. Add to that the 18 vacation days I've saved up for the Fall run = Woo Hoo!! Unfortunately, with all that has gone on, I am not really in the mood to go fishing.

Anyway, thanks for all the advice, and Tom, as always, looking forward to reading the upcoming magazine.

CGBT781ML
Posted by: Joel (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 21, 2001 12:06AM

Hey, ive got a CGBT781ml that ive already wrapped over here and i dont know if i would be putting any single foot fly guides on it. I built it with perfection s.s. guides and used size 8s for the smaller guides and tip and it works well like that. When matched with a TLD Star 15/30, its a sweet coddin, halibut, and other whatnot saltwater rod. I would like to see how it would look as a spiral. My next rod is going to be a spiral wrap, just a simple mudhole finished blank that is really stiff and for largemouth bass.

Till Later,
Joel

Re: CGBT781ML
Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dynamic.ziplink.net)
Date: September 21, 2001 01:17PM

Joel - I 'm going to build it as a spinning rod with either a Baitrunner 4500 w/ 20lb, or a Sahara 6000 w/ 17lb test. BLG size 8 guides. Best part, is that it is my rod, and if there are any problems, I can always re-wrap it - lol.

I am building a 781L with a spiral wrap, and another one with the traditional wrap - both are "demos" for potential customeres to see the advantages of othe spiral wrap. I also have a 781M built with a spiral wrap and BHNLG for the transition & BLBLG single foot boat guides. In my opinion, the BLBLG guides make the rod a bit tip heavy, until I put on the reel, a Charter Special 2000, and it balances perfectly. Haven't had the chance to fish any of these rods yet - waiting for the Fall run of Bass.

Billy

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster