I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

thread
Posted by: bill mathis (208.33.106.---)
Date: September 19, 2001 08:34PM

can someone tell me the difference between fly tying thread and rod wrapping thread, other than the size difference they seem the same. thanks GOD BLESS AMERICA

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: thread
Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 08:50PM

I don't think fly tying thread has the tight twist that rod building thread has. Also, fly tying thread is commonly waxed. I would think that would be disastrious to a builder when he put on his epoxy rod finish!

Posted by: Billy 40 (---.dialup.mindspring.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 11:28PM

Finally back On-line. I never used Fly Tying thread on my rods, but I think with careful choices, you can find a suitable alternative. A couple of years ago, Chris Helm from Whitetail Supplies in Ohio, ran an extensive test on different types of thread used in Fly Tying which was printed in a Fly Tyer magazine. The diameter, strength, type of twist are all listed.

Billy

Posted by: Buddy (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 20, 2001 01:27AM

Bill,

As a fly tier, I frequently use rod wrapping thread for certain applications in building flys and lures. I've not tried the reverse, however.

The ONLY problem I can see with using 'regular' fly tying thread (rather than the 'flat' stuff, which is untwisted and would be VERY hard to wrap evenly) for wrapping guides is the wax that's on most tying threads. This 'may' cause trouble with the finish on the wraps (I'm not sure it will, however. I've used epoxy for a durable head cement or to seal the thread wraps on bass bugs and other baits that I want to stand up to heavy abuse, and it works just fine).

I'm curious as to why you'd want to do this in the first place? Rod wrapping thread is usually much cheaper than fly tying thread, is available in many more colors, and comes in larger amounts.

The only advantage I can see is that you can get fly tying thread in very fine diameters. There may be applications where that might have an appeal, such as a very light fly rod or microlight spinning rod, but you can get fine diameter rod threads that will work just fine and the 'difference' would be slight in the finished product.

Still, to each his own. You can get unwaxed fly tying thread, so if you really want to, that would seem to solve any finish application troubles.

Good Luck!

Posted by: elrod (150.199.191.---)
Date: September 20, 2001 12:21PM

I have used unwaxed tying thread for very fine trim bands. It is smaller in dia. than the rodbuilding thread and provides a nice taper of the rod thread to the blank. I helped me get a better result when doing rods with as little finish as possible and stopping the finish just beyond to wrap (essentially at the wrap). BUT>>>with practice with the finish I have learned to get nice tapers out of the finish and not the thread. Never have used it for primary wraps though. Don't have much reason to use it anymore. FWIW
Elrod

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster