I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Real difference between SigV and FT for 9p 4pc 4WT ?
Posted by: Patrice NEZOU (---.crf.canon.fr)
Date: October 28, 2008 06:29AM

Hi all,

I would like to build a new rod during this winter. And I need some advises to choose my blank: Signature V or FT for 9p 4pc 4WT.

This rod will be used in approximately 10 to 20 m long rivers and for fishing from 5 to 20meters.
I don't like very fast action such as sage XP for example. I like a SLT sage action but I am afraid that this kind of action is not sufficient for fishing at 15 meters without big efforts.

I thought that the FT blank would be the best choice . But I am afraid that this blank be too hard and too stiff.

What advises could you give me ?

Thanks for your answer.

PS: Sorry for my english, I am french :)

Patrice NEZOU

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Real difference between SigV and FT for 9p 4pc 4WT ?
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (---.ptld.qwest.net)
Date: October 28, 2008 09:39AM

For what yu want to do I'd probably look more at the FTL 9046, the SigV will work great, but the 15 to 20 m area will be more difficult as it's a bit lighter powered than the FTL, and nowhere near the power of the FT, which I'm sure you wouldn't like if you don't like the faster rods.

Posted by: Stan Grace (---.hln-mt.client.bresnan.net)
Date: October 28, 2008 10:25AM

I think Spencer is giving you good advice. The FT is extremely fast in action with the FTL being more moderate. I personally enjoy fishing the FTL's in situations that call for lighter weight rods but prefer the FT actions when needing more power with heavier fly's and adverse casting conditions.

Stan Grace
Helena, MT
"Our best is none too good"

Posted by: Daryl Dertell (---.nelson.netidea.bc.ca)
Date: October 28, 2008 04:01PM

I,m a big fan of Dans blanks and agree the ft might be to fast for your liking but another possiblity is an ft in 10 foot lenght. The extra foot slows the action somewhat but still lots of power for long casts. I personally prefer the ftl or sig V but usually closer than 20 m. daryl

Posted by: Tony Dowson (---.ok.shawcable.net)
Date: October 29, 2008 12:40AM

Given that you don't want a really fast action rod I would rule out the FT,even though it is a great blank and is extremely versatile.It is a very different rod than the SIG V,with a soft tip / very fast action and a very powerful butt.Many choose to overline these rods.

Given your needs,I would go with either the FTL or SIG V,depending on how many pieces you want.

The best thing to do is give Dan a shout,tell him the distances you plan on fishing,what size flies you plan on tossing,and what your current rod preferences are and see if he can narrow the search down for you.

I'm curious why you think that a rod with an action like a Sage SLT would struggle at distances of 15M though?

The current 4pc 4wt SIG V is definitely not as powerful as the FT's,but I can't imagine them having a problem with the casting distances mentioned.If you wanted just a little extra insurance,I would simply go with the 9ft 5wt SIG V model and fish it with a 4wt line(it might feel better with a 1/2 weight heavier 4wt line like a RIO Grand or SA GPX though).The 5wt has a little more power than the 4wt and would probably cast a heavier 4wt line nicely at 30-60ft.

I have a older 3pc 8ft9 4wt SIG V that I fish with a 4wt RIO Grand line(it's a great match for longer casts) and based on the CCS data others have supplied,this 4wt blank is actually a little bit more powerful than the current 4pc 5wt model.

Edited 3 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 01:31AM by Tony Dowson.

Date: October 29, 2008 04:19AM

OK, thanks for your explanation. It's clearer for me now.

Pat

Date: October 29, 2008 05:35AM

Do you think that Sig V or FTL is more powerful than a SLT sage ( for 9p 4WT) ?
Is it a problem to have 6 pieces for a blank ? I never use this kind of rod.

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 10/29/2008 07:18AM by Patrice NEZOU.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster