I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Flex Coat guide adhesive ?
Posted by: Mike Fleshood (---.aubnin.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 07:47AM

Has anyone used the Flex Coat guide adhesive to hold guides to the blank prior to wrapping ? It looks like a tip top hot glue stick. I've been doing mainly ice rods and ultra lights with thin , narrow blanks and small guides and it can be hard to tape them in place and stay put while wrapping. Any pros or cons to this product ? Will it reduce senistivity ? -Thanks

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Flex Coat guide adhesive ?
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 20, 2008 08:51AM

Technically, yes, it will reduce sensitivity. But no, it will not reduce sensitivity by any practical amount that a human could ever discern. You needn't worry about that sort of thing.

It's a very thin hot-melt type adhesive that could be just the thing for what you're wanting to do. All you do is slightly heat the adhesive and swipe the stick across the bottom of the guide foot. It makes the foot just tacky enough to stick it to the blank. You can still adjust the guide placement slightly.

Posted by: Brad Kemis (---.fw2.onvoy.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 10:15AM

I use this for micro guides. It works well with small guides on small diameter blanks. It doesn't hold larger guides very well but those guides are easy to hold with tape. It melts at a lower temperature than tip top adhesive and is much softer when hardened.

I would caution that you want to use as little of the product as necessary. It can show through the thread if you get much outside of the foot area. It can also work itself outside of the foot if you have to move the guides very far for alignment after wrapping, just keep the alignment close and it's not an issue.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.182.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 02:40PM

I secure guides to the blank with three or four turns of elastic thread, pulled taut and secured by a reef knot. This allows me to easily move the guides on both axes, yet still holds guides in place well enough until they are wound on. One "snip" of the scissors and the elastic thread literally flies off the blank.
When I'm feeling fussy I frequently re-adjust the guides after they have been wound down. I would worry that any adhesive uniting guide and blank would prevent me from making such fine adjustments.

Posted by: Billy Vivona (---.nycmny.east.verizon.net)
Date: October 20, 2008 03:35PM

I scoffed at using this product for a while, until I read on here that instead of heating the stick, you slightly heat teh guide adn pass it over teh stick. This prevented me from applying to much, as brad stated it will sho if you use too much, adn if you heat up your finish - it will melt and peek through the thread if you use too much. I us it on an single foot guide smaller than a size - I use surgical tuging to secure the foot to teh blank while static deflecting, then I use the adhesive once the guides are in place (I take them off adn put them back in teh same spot, and yes it takes longer). For me it works better. Recently I've been wrapping 1-2-3 rods with predetermined guide spacing, and it works great on larger size guides.

I do not think this product is for everyone, and I thnk it causes more problems than it's worth, but if you hare having trouble with teh smaller guides, you might want to try barely heating the guide and touching to eh adhesive, possibly passing once more over the heat before putting the guide on teh blank.

Posted by: Vern Metcalf Jr (---.mn.warpdriveonline.com)
Date: October 20, 2008 06:35PM

I started using the glue method exclusivly. I heat the guide feet and swipe rapidly over the glue and transfer immediatly to the blank. I then hold it it position until the glue drys. Usually have to take your fingers off very carefully or you could rip the guide right back off. Works for me.

Date: October 20, 2008 09:17PM

Vern, try Hemostats like the use for fly fishing. Much easier to control and let go, adn if you screw up and overheat teh guide you won't burn your fingers.

Posted by: eric zamora (69.106.191.---)
Date: October 21, 2008 02:50AM

like billy hinted, my experience has been it's more trouble than useful. i too learned it's best to heat the guide foot/feet but you need to place it accurately because there's no moving of the guide slightly to correct misplacement once it's adhered. i prefer other methods than flex coat's guide stick stuff.

eric
fresno, ca.

Date: October 21, 2008 06:58AM

Eric, I had the same problem movign guides, until I used less adhesive. All you need is the TINYEST amount of adhesive for it to hold, and you'll be able to align the guides without a problem. Again, it's not for everyone and it does take some getting used to. Honestly, I had more of a learning curve with this stinkin glue stick than I did with epoxy, lol.

Posted by: Ted Morgan (123.211.31.---)
Date: October 21, 2008 02:58PM

Pretty easy to use. Heat guide foot, swipe over glue stick end, and press onto the rod blank where you want it to go. You'll need to hold it down while it cools. If you heat the guide foot too much you'll know about it!

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster