I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Using a wood lathe
Posted by: Jeff Thomson (---.vz.dsl.gtei.net)
Date: September 19, 2001 01:20AM

The local Sears had a good sale on the Delta Midi Lathe ($100 off), so I invested in one, set it up in my garage, turned it on, and played a little bit with the parts sent along with it. It certainly looks cool, but now what? I'm interested in turning handles, both cork and wood, and maybe some other things like bowls and pencils. Can anybody discuss how to turn a handle of exotic wood - what kind of tools and what sort of technique? I'm a complete novice at wood turning. I gather the Delta is an M2 lathe, so the Clemens chuck I have doesn't fit. Should I get a Jacob chuck? Where should I look for tools? I also get the feeling I should get a grinder to keep the tools sharp. I kind of feel like I did when I was about to wrap my first rod, so any help will be appreciated!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Using a wood lathe
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 19, 2001 09:29AM

Jeff,

In the very next issue of RodMaker, we begin a three part series of how to make things like wood seat inserts, hosels, caps, etc., with the lathe. The first installment, will concern the lathe; selecting and buying, what accessories are useful and which ones to acquire, how to understand and use the various tools, sharpening, etc.

It will also feature a sidebare with a whole group of places you can buy parts, chucks, turning stock, accessories, etc.

Finally, the Delta Midi lathe will work with not only M2 chucks and accessories, the headstock spindle is also threaded so threaded accessories will work with it as well. Just make sure that you get accessories with the same "threads per inch" (tpi) so they will fit your machine.

The Volume 4 #5 issue of RodMaker mails next week.

Posted by: Rick Funcik (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 19, 2001 10:52AM

One of the best sources for all kinds of woodturning stuff is called "Craft Supplies", in Provo, Utah; have a nice catalog, a real candy store. I have no commercial connection, etc.etc., just that they're where I look first for turning stuff.

I agree a Jacobs type chuck mounted on a taper fitting your tailstock is a basic tool, for any kind of boring. A 4-jaw scroll chuck is probably next, threaded to fit your headstock. I like the older "Nova" brand, there are similar newer ones too, choose one sized to the kind of work you'll do. This kind of chuck will hold round, rough-round, square, or rectanglar blanks, on center and accurately enough that you can re-chuck the same piece a second time and still find the same center, within tolerances we can be happy with.

Get good cutting tools, high speed steel recommended, because it stays sharp much longer, and if you occasionally overheat it at the grinding wheel, you won't destroy the temper (edge-holding quality) of the steel. But just two or three tools can be enough for lots and lots of work, you don't need the 200 styles they might offer!

Find a cheap source for chunks of hardwood you can practice on. Fortunately lots of shops throw away chunks big enough for reel seats, so you can turn out 20 or 30 practice projects without worrying about material cost. My advice is get into the groove of turning off nice smooth long shavings, making nice smooth surfaces right off the gouge, and don't even think about cutting into a $10 chunk of burl exotic wood until you've done 30 practice pieces.

Beyond that, look for the upcoming series in RodMaker, I know it'll be very informative.

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 19, 2001 11:03AM

Another source to consider for woodworkers is Lee Valley Tools.
No commercial connection with them, but I get their catalog (which is exceptiona, by the way) and they have some very good ideas for small woodworking projects including a minilathe and lots of accessories and even hand tools, etc.
A great resource. They have a website, I believe by their name leevalley.com or leevalleytools.com

I'm looking forward to the RodMaker article.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster