I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

St Croix Legend Elite
Posted by: Paul McRoberts (---.dsl.pltn13.sbcglobal.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 03:25PM

I am looking for input on these rods. I've not built on St Croix blanks yet, so any input is helpful.

Thanks in advance,
Paul McRoberts

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: St Croix Legend Elite
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 15, 2008 03:37PM

Extremely nice blanks. For my money, however, the Legend or SCIV is a better value. Very nearly the equal in performance at far less cost.

Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 04:31PM

Fly, casting, spinning?

Overall, you go up in weight a little, but the SCIII rods a great bang for the buck as well.

BUT If you're worried about blank weights, look closely and compare as some of the SCV and SCIV blanks are not much different than the SCIII and cost a good bit more. I'm not the best to explain the weight differences, but I know if weight is the goal, more expensive isn't always the answer.

Example with casting blanks:
3C70MHF - 2.6
4C70MHF - 2.8
5C70 MHF - 2.1

3C70MF - 2
4C70MF - 2.2
5C70MF - 2

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.100.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 05:00PM

St. Croix service is second to none. I once tried to roll cast off a half-hitch which had materialized on the tip of my #10 fly rod. Unfortunately on the pick-up I snagged a Chinook by the propeller. I pointed my St. Croix at him, down the river he went with the top 1/3 of my flyrod until he reached a the next pool, went under a rock and broke off. At that point the half-hitch apparently came off.
I called St.Croix and although the rod was an obsolete model they rumaged through inventory and sent me a replacement tip within days, no questions asked, at the cost of postage alone. Since then I have acquired several St. Croix rods and built several more on their blanks.

Posted by: Roy Zeringue (---.btr.bellsouth.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 05:10PM

This probably won't help much, but I have several (9 total) St. Croix rods, from the Premier to to the Legend Elite. However they are all factory built rods. The Legend Elite is the finest rod I have ever fished with, and owned as far sensitivity, and castability. I do own (factory built) more expensive rods, but none to equal the Legend Elite. If I could do the blank justice at this point in time I would have already began construction.

My $.02

Roy

Posted by: Marc Locke (---.ks.ks.cox.net)
Date: October 15, 2008 06:20PM

I have a new Gallatin Green 2008 St Croix SCV Legend Elite 9' 4wt blank I am building on. It is the slimmest, lightest fast taper 9' 4wt blank I have ever touched. It has a butt dia of only .310" and tip top loose sz 3.5. I did the CCS on it and it came up in low 4.XX ERN and AA of 70. It will be perfect for what I wanted, a light 4wt fast taper trout blank.

I will definitely consider the SCV for future rods as well.

Posted by: Jim Gamble (---.187-72.tampabay.res.rr.com)
Date: October 15, 2008 07:12PM

You will NEVER go wrong with St Croix as long as you have properly selected the blank to meet your application. The SCIII series is quite possibly the best blank value currently on the market ... great product, great people, great service and Made in the USA.

Posted by: Will Dea (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 12:51AM

I've exchanged some lengthy emails with St Croix agents and they have been extremely helpful on all levels.

That's not to say they are the only company that actually communicates with customers: Karry @ Batson and Robert @ Phenix are more then helpful also!

Can't help but support companies that actually pay attention to their customers....

Posted by: John Repaci (---.ri.ri.cox.net)
Date: October 16, 2008 05:06PM

This is why I buy Batson/Forecast/Rainshadow/Alps products
Thanks, Karry and my distributor.

"It ain't what you don't know that gets you into trouble.It's what you know for sure that just ain't so." Mark Twain
John in Wethersfield, CT

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster