I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

shipping rods
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.207.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:35AM

I would appreciate any tips on how to pack and ship a completed rod safely and economically. I have completed a surf rod for my son and it will require a container a bit less than 72" long and 4" in diameter.
Thanks.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: shipping rods
Posted by: Alex Dziengielewski (---.scana.com)
Date: October 09, 2008 11:48AM

Sched 40 pvc. The gray conduit is cheaper here than the white pvc. Not sure what the difference is there.

I ship priority mail. Usually around $12. Get insurance. Pretty simple.

Usually wrap rod in bubble wrap and then stuff some extra on each end. Don't want it bouncing around in the tube.

-----------------
AD

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:01PM

Phil,

There's another type of pipe available "regionally" (not available everywhere) called corrugated drain pipe. 3" & 4" diameters that comes in 10' lengths. It's available both with and without drainage holes. You want the stuff without the drain holes. It's plenty tough, but weighs about 1/3 of the same length of sch40. You'll find it in the ABS & PVC racks at Lowes or Home Depot for under $5 for a 10' length.

As Alex mentioned, bubble wrap the guides and put a layer or two of bubble wrap between the rod's sections to prevent them from scratching each other in transit. After you bubble wrap the rod, make 3 bands or bushings of bubble wrap that are the same size as the inside diameter of your pipe at the ends and center of the rod. That will keep it from moving around inside of the pipe in transit.

like Alex said, priority is usually the best way to go until you get to about a 100" O.A.L.

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:06PM

Foam Core PVC is half the weight of regular pressure able PVC. It's nearly as stiff and strong and suitable for blank shipping.

Black ABS pipe is another good option. Weighs less than PVC and costs much less.

Good, heavy triangular cardboard containers are pretty good if you're shipping shorter rods.

Posted by: Mark Griffin (---.lsanca.dsl-w.verizon.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 12:21PM

I think we're talking about the same pipe. ..."Foam Core PVC "... White on the outside, black on the inside?

Mark Griffin
[]
C&M Custom Tackle
San Dimas, California

Date: October 09, 2008 02:13PM

What I've had is the same color on both sides. It looks and feels just like regular PVC.

I have seen some "corrugated" white tubing and I think that's black on the inside.

Posted by: Mike Adams (71.80.150.---)
Date: October 09, 2008 02:15PM

Definitely some kind of plastic pipe. Recently sent some rods UPS and had a chance to talk to the folks at our local terminal. They said fishing rods are one of their main problems because of their slender length and conveyor belts that they travel on at the major hubs. When the rod encounters a curve in conveyor then sticks out and catches a support then next comes a large package then something has to give. I'd guess part time help and the need for speed contributes somewhat also.

If the sender does their part by wrapping correctly the shipper can generally deliver in one piece.

Posted by: roger wilson (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 02:49PM

Long tubes are a problem for all of the carriers.
You can pack in cardboard, plastic sewer pipe, plastic schedule 40, or rain gutters.
If the container doesn't get caught in a conveyor, you will be fine.
If the container gets caught in a conveyor, you will have a broken rod. It doesn't make any difference what the rod is packed in, the conveyor will win everytime.

The only thing you can do is to do a good job of packing and insure it for the maxium and hope for the best.

I have found that the carrier doesn't make any difference either.

I had gone many years, with 0 problems in either receiving blanks, or shipping rods.
However, in one month I had broken blanks coming in from
UPS, US mail, DHL, and Fedex.
Every carrier managed to break incoming blanks for me. Each of the shipments were nicely packed in plastic tubes. However, when the plastic tube is bent in 1/2 - the contents will surely be broken as was the case with every blank.
Fortunately, these were blanks - not finished rods and all were insured. So, it was a simple matter of reordering and the new shipments came through fine.

For each of the carriers, I have had only one problem. The strange thing is that all of these problems occurred in a single month. Go figure.

--------
I generally use the 4 inch drain pvc pipe for my rod shipments and they come through fine.
I also have a source for heavy cardboard tubes and they ship just as well.

The weight of the container is typically not important. The length - baloon charge normally is much more significant than any package weight with respect to the rod shipment. So, generally speaking, you can pretty use what ever package that you want, that weighs almost anyt hing and the baloon lenght charge is still the normal deciding factor on package shipment.

Take care
Roger

Date: October 09, 2008 02:50PM

At one time writing "do not belt" seemed to help. Although you would think that the person putting a long, slender container on the conveyor would already be aware of what's likely to happen.

Posted by: Chris Beverley (218.185.73.---)
Date: October 09, 2008 03:20PM

I get many blanks and rods form overseas and they mostly come in a heavey duty cardboard or PVC tube. Heaps of bubble wrap and nice on firmly packed. I have never had an issue.

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 03:37PM

Timing of shipments should be carefully considered. Air freight movement of tubes through major airports who employ temporary contract workers from Friday to Monday improves the chances of a Fork Lift Run Over and severe tube damage. If tubes go out in the very early part of a week the chances for delivery to the destination by regular employess improves the chances of arriving at the final destination undamaged. I will not use the US Postal Service to ship any tubes due to their inability to track or handle problems with damages in a reasonable manner. Ground services may take longer but the nature and frequency of damages seems to be smaller. Any markings on the tube are primarily ignored and are not official ... "Do Not Belt" seems to mean for them to see if the tube will penetrate a brick wall when thrown as a spear! If you were to get on line and determine the routing of a tube via Ground from Woodland, Washington to Baton Rouge you would be entitled to a Masters Degree In Geography!

As far as the pipe situation goes all PVC piping is normally separated in stores from irrigation and drain piping and many time it is not in the same department. The later is a lot lighter and works nicely. Most of the production rod companies are now using heavy duty cardboard tubes for shipment. Swampland will bring cardboard tubes to High Point for those who request assistance with shipping of purchased blanks.

Posted by: Joe Douglas (---.static.vsat-systems.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 09:07PM

We all have our war stories and favorites. I won't use the any of the ground services due to excessive breakage on, what seems to me, a regular basis. I use only USPS Priority mail and have excellent results on both domestic and international shipping. I imagine they all have problems with part time employees and seasonal surges in business, but I have less trouble with USPS than any of the others. The routing is most likely a real maze and problems versus no problems may have a lot to do with where you ship from and to and what hubs you traverse in the process. I don't know, I only know which one works for me.

Joe Douglas

Posted by: bill boettcher (---.250.111.105.Dial1.Weehawken1.Level3.net)
Date: October 09, 2008 09:32PM

As Joe just said, USPS works very well . Drain pipe PVC 4" ID and I pack with news paper. Never had a rod broke. I have shipped to Cal, Alaska And Hawaii With insurance !! I think they see the sticker and treat it well ??

Posted by: Tony Childs (152.72.151.---)
Date: October 09, 2008 10:42PM

I have a cousing that works for Fed Ex. He says that the worst thing you can do is put "fragile", "breakable" or any other words like that on the package. Translated in Fed Ex language it means "drop kick and throw". LOL LOL LOL

Posted by: Denis Brown (---.nsw.bigpond.net.au)
Date: October 10, 2008 07:58AM

The best tube I have ever come across is a spiral formed PVC tube with an inner black (w. hollow spiral PVC construction) and an outer white PVC layer.
It is heavier wall than Sched 40 PVC but a lot lighter weight. Its crush rating is a lot higher than Sched 40.
You CAN throw it like a spear against a brick wall & not shatter it...................I did it for the @#$%& of it..............and ran my Fi50 over it as well ( empty )
very impressive stuff.
Phenix ship their blanks in it................ the best tube I have ever come across , but I can't find a source in Aust.
Jason at Phenix could tell you what it is.
Tom.............if you get a chance you could talk to him & post the info............long before I can.
Forgot to write the name down before I sent it to Sydney yesterday.............but I'll get it back next Wed & post the name then, if someone else has not done it by then.
DenisB

Posted by: Lance Dupre (---.hsd1.la.comcast.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 12:21PM

Tony Childs Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> I have a cousing that works for Fed Ex. He says
> that the worst thing you can do is put "fragile",
> "breakable" or any other words like that on the
> package. Translated in Fed Ex language it means
> "drop kick and throw". LOL LOL LOL

I found out that adding a label stating "Non Conveyable" goes a long way in getting your your claim expedited a lot faster if your tube is ever crushed or broken in half. At least you went the extra mile stating that the tubes should be handled with a little more care.

Posted by: Russ Pollack (---.dhcp.embarqhsd.net)
Date: October 10, 2008 12:42PM

Get a carpet tube (free) from a Lowes or HD. Cut it to length. Pack the rod in bubble wrap until you just can't fit any more into the tube. Seal off the ends.

Send it USPS or USPO. Insure it. Get delivery confirmation.

Uncle Russ
Calico Creek Rods

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster