I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Metallic Thread Problems
Posted by: Tom E. (---.guidant.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 04:22PM

I have done a number of wraps with Gudebond's Metallic thread in size A and have been really happy for the most part. I recently had a spool of pearl metallic thread that was very stiff and seemed to constantly keep unraveling. Also, a spool of red metallic had constant hairs and thin threads running off it. I hate to waste a spool of thread or have to throw it away, has anyone seen the same varability with these threads? Does anyone have any recommendations for a better metallic thread in size A?

Thanks,
Tom E.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Metallic Thread Problems
Posted by: Dan E (---.tnt2.rdu1.da.uu.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 07:57PM

I have had "hairs" in spools of the metallic threads. At first I thought it was happening as I pulled it off the spool (perhaps too much tension), but that turned out not to be the case. The unfortunate part is that the hairs are well attached to the thread body and too much messing with them will unravel the thread. Don't know the solution.

Posted by: Hugh Miller (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 09:50PM

Is this a one time problem or does it recur with all of your thread? Perhaps you have a bad spool of thread. It does happen occasionally. If it occurs with all of your thread (or all of your metallic thread) perhaps the culprit is your thread tension device.

What type of thread tension device are you using? If you pull the thread through the tensioner and put tension directly on the thread, that could be part of the problem. I have the Clemens lathe; the thread tension device tightens against the spool, rather than the thread and the thread comes through cleanly.

I have had a similar problem with the Pearl being unwieldy. Sometimes it seems to have a life of its own!

I have used the line of Madera metallic thread and like it very much. As a rule, though, it is hard to beat Gudebrod thread, both regular and metallic.

Best regards,

Hugh Miller

Posted by: Jim Kastorff (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 11:23PM

I've used HT metallic in A since it came out for weaving and lately I've also had trouble with bad spools of thread. One spool the thread came apart really easy, another spool didn't break but the metallic is real rough feeling. I tried Rice which is strong but I didn't like the look of the weaves as much as with HT. National @#$%& in my opinion. Gonna stick with HT and hope it gets back to the way it was when it first came out-

Posted by: john bratton (---.eugene1.or.home.com)
Date: September 18, 2001 11:53PM

the last 4 spools of ht metallic have been bad i have switced to Madera .regards John Bratton

Posted by: Rich Garbowski (---.voyageur.ca)
Date: September 19, 2001 01:19AM

Tom,
Gudebrod is well recommended and perhaps as already mentioned you may have had a bad spool. On the other hand if the problem for you persists another option might be to consider the silk size A threads in metalllic. Very nice and supple to work and strong.
I should think they be used in conjunction with the non-metallic silk threads which require a solvent based color preserver.
I haven't mixed the silk metallics in a buttwrap pattern with nylon rodbuilding thread so can't comment on the outcome.

Just a thought, but silk metallic thread is also more expensive. We limit its use, but not for any particular reason than habit of continuing to use good ole Gudebrod. There are a couple of particularly worse brands which I prefer to not mention by name. Haven't used Madera personally.

Rich
Solyrich Custom Rods

Posted by: Tom McNamara (---.24.97.oviedo.cfl.rr.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 01:59AM

Some other metallic threads worth looking into if you keep having problems are Rice, J-Metallic, Sulky and Medera. Some of these other brands offer more (different) colors, more yards per spool, higher strength, different sizes and may solve your problems.

Tom McNamara
Mud Hole Custom Tackle
[www.mudhole.com]
Phone: (407) 277-0099

Posted by: Kerry (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 03:53AM

Gudebrod has been very good to me to solve any problems i have had in a most expeditious manner. You just need to let them know. They can't fix it unless they are aware of the problem. My tension device clamps on the thread and the only time I have had problems with metalic is when I had too much tension on the thread and it wasn't even the HT thread. My only problem happened quite some time ago where at time their spools in the 1oz size split. so I just saved them up and contacted them and was given replacement spools. I am really happy with their thread. but as with any manufacturing process, sometime problems happen and it escapes their quality control process.

Kerry

Posted by: Tom E. (---.guidant.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 11:13AM

Thanks, for all the info. I am using a Renzetti Lathe so the tension has not been an issue. I have also checked parts of the spool before using it and saw the same problem. I guess now I will just need to carefully check the thread before using it or before purchasing it at the shop. At the same time I am also going to experiment with a few different brands on the next rod, I will post the results in the future. Does Gudebond have any ties to this site? Perhaps we can give them some good feedback on issues we have seen recently in the field.

Thanks,

Posted by: Pete (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: September 19, 2001 07:44PM

Gudebrod does seem to have any ties to this site. No sponsor link shows up on the page that my computer brings up. I have also never seen an ad from them in Rodmaker so I guess not. But that doesn't mean they don't look in here now and again. I would think this place has some valuable input for all the manufacturers.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster