I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Recent Smart Money article on flyrods
Posted by: Jerry Poindexter (---.tx.res.rr.com)
Date: September 18, 2008 05:25PM

I haven't built any flyrods, but this article caught my eye. In a financial magazine, no less!
[www.smartmoney.com]

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Recent Smart Money article on flyrods
Posted by: Ray Cover (---.dsl.stlsmo.swbell.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 07:44PM

It's interesting to write such an article on the opinions of one guy. I tend to like slower action softer rods because they fit my casting style better but to each his own.

There was one comment made that always gets a chuckle out of me.

As a man who grew up in the woods working for local farmers bucking hay, driving fence post, cutting and splitting wood, building barns, etc, etc. I got to say that if fishing for a day with a 3.6 oz rod "wears you out" your quite the pansy. I fish with one of my early rods almost every trip. It weighs 3.9 oz (back when I made my hardware out of stainless instead of titanium and aluminum) and it doesn't lay me out after a long day of fishing...... and I'm old and fat now.

I have read that and heard that in so many places it has really become a pet peeve of mine. I have grown the opinion that it is just one of those things guys say that they have heard elsewhere so they sound like the know what they are talking about.

I understand wanting a rod light due to the sensitivity issue. That is understandable. I see that as a legitimate argument for a light rod. However, I don't see being wore out by a 3 1/2 oz rod as legitimate. Throwing 80lb bales of alfalfa on the back of a hay wagon or swinging a 16lb post maul all day will wear you out.

my 2 cents,

Ray

Ray Cover
My Projects Blog
[raycover.blogspot.com]

Posted by: Eddie Hinote (---.dhcp.leds.al.charter.com)
Date: September 18, 2008 07:45PM

Be sure to read the comment at the end of the article. What about Scott rods? I've never built or fished one but I know guys who rave about them. Later, E...

Date: September 18, 2008 08:04PM

Winstons and Scotts are two of my favorite blanks. I had a little Scott G3 6'3" 3pc 3wt that was the cats meow for me. I have kicked myself many times for selling that rod.

I personally agree with the commenter's statements about the Scott rods and stiff sticks. I see a lot of guys on the water who fling line with a long stiff rod rather than cast line with timing and a loaded rod.

Ray

Posted by: George Forster (71.237.22.---)
Date: September 18, 2008 10:35PM

And to think that I am about to rebuild an 8' 6" bamboo rod. I sure hope that I don't get a heart attack from trying to cast that beast for a day.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.7.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 11:01PM

Legitimate comparison tests are done "blind." The tester is prevented from knowing the brand or price of the product he or she is testing. The reason for making comparisons "blind" are easily appreciated. The credibility of any comparison test of fly rods would be greatly improved if the "Minnie Pearl Effect" were eliminated by disguising the rods.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.7.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: September 18, 2008 11:01PM

Legitimate comparison tests are done "blind." The tester is prevented from knowing the brand or price of the product he or she is testing. The reason for making comparisons "blind" are easily appreciated. The credibility of any comparison test of fly rods would be greatly improved if the "Minnie Pearl Effect" were eliminated by disguising the rods.

Date: September 18, 2008 11:13PM

Good point Phil,

I like Winston and Scott Rods but I have also built rods on certain PacBay and Hook and Hackle blanks that I really like. I suspect the PB and HH blanks were made in the same place because as far as I can tell they are exactly the same except for color. I recently bought one of the same blanks from Custom Tackle (it was a Batson brand). Now I have that rod in Green, Maroon, and blue :-).

Anyway, point is there are blanks I like out there that cost $300 and blanks I like out there that cost $30. The only way to really know is to give each one a fair shake by using it for a while. Casting each rod a few times out a canoe on one trip aint gonna do it.

When you let your personal bias and brand loyalties creep in there to boot The outcome of a comparison can get really muddy.

Ray

Posted by: Paul Rotkis (---.gci.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 02:13AM

AMEN Ray! You said what I have been thinking!

Posted by: Bill Stevens (---.br.br.cox.net)
Date: September 19, 2008 03:53PM

Jerry P. do you think the information in the Smart Money article could have helped me with my previous fly rod problems? Personally I think they should have stayed with dealing with the financial issues of the day. You are the only person who has any clue as to why I feel this way!

Gon Fishn

Posted by: Curtis Trompler (---.austinareaobgyn.com)
Date: October 03, 2008 12:39PM

The article should have been called, "Fly fishing for dummies, by dummies, with an expert...who is a dummy".

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster