I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

manufacturer question: mandrels
Posted by: Scott Brockwell (---.dinwiddie.k12.va.us)
Date: September 18, 2001 10:42AM

When a blank manufaturer, such as G-Loomis, makes blanks for other companies -- such as they did for Cabela's in the past -- who typically owns the mandrels if the two companies sever ties?

In other words, would Cabela's (just a "for instance" here) be able to carry the same mandrels to another company and continue production having the exact same tapers, or would they need to go "back to the drawing board" with any new blank manufacturer they procure for the job.

I'm prompted to ask this by finding noticeable differences in blanks when new companies step in to make them. Is it much more to all this than simply the mandrels involved?

Thanks for any education on the matter,
Scott

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: manufacturer question: mandrels
Posted by: Petro Chem (---.powerinter.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 12:04PM

Hi Scott-

Yeah, there's more than just mandrels involved. The mandrel is only the form that the glass or graphite cloth is wrapped around. The other factors could be: the material used, the skill of the person who does the measuring and cutting of the material into "flags", rolling of the flags onto the mandrel, shrink wrapping them, curing them, centerless grinding them, etc.

Even if all the manufacturers had the same equipment, they won't have the same people doing the work.... and people make ALL the difference when it comes to making quality goods!!! Put another way- a good rodbuilder could take the same pile of components that a large rod producer uses and make a better rod out of it in many cases. It's all about skill and technique that only a human can acquire.

In terms of your "who-gets-the-mandrel" question, I think it probably goes to whomever purchased it in the first place. For example- If I brought a set of mandrels to a manufacturer with the intent of contract work, I would want my tooling back at the end of the run or contract. On the other hand- if the manufacturer had a mandrel on hand already, and my specs for material and/or flag pattern were my only input, I would not expect to get any tooling returned.

Hope this helps some...

Tom

Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 12:14PM

In some cases the mandrels are owned by the blank manufacturer. In others they are owned and supplied by the recipient of the blanks.

I seem to recall that in their early years, Scott made a big deal of the fact that Fisher built the Scott blanks on mandrels that were owned by Scott and could not be used to produce anyone else's blanks. No reason not to believe this. Fisher likely supplied the mandrels and charged Scott for them and agreed they would not be used on any other company's blanks.

As Tom pointed out above, the mandrel is only part of the equation. many different blanks can be built on a single mandrel depending upon the .

Todd Vivian works with this sort of thing all the time and I am sure he will weigh in on this. Maybe Jason from St. Croix could enlighten us as well.

Posted by: Jason (St. Croix) (---.lax.customer.centurytel.net)
Date: September 18, 2001 03:55PM

I really can't speak for all other manufacturers, but I would think they take the same approach we do. If someone wants us to make a series of blanks for them, chances are we have the tooling capabilities on hand due to our large line of rods. Therefore, we choose to keep everything in house. A manufacturer that does not have a large mandrel inventory may suggest that the buyer invest in the tooling, and would have rights to it at anytime. However, just because the buyer has rights to the tooling, doesn't mean he has the rights to the pattern designs and the type of materials that are applied to them. This is where you can run into different actions if the buyer changes manufacturers.

Posted by: Scott (---.s174.tnt1.chts.va.dialup.rcn.com)
Date: September 20, 2001 05:59PM

Thanks to all for the kind advice.

Scott

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster