I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Advise In Considering !st Bamboo Rod
Posted by: Joe T. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2001 11:42AM

I am considering doing a first time bamboo rod building project.

Where can I get information and components? What would be the best blanks to consider. What books ,etc. would you advise? How much time do I need to invest?

From your vast experience out there, how would you suggest one get's started?

Thanking you in advance for your help.

Joe T.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Advise In Considering !st Bamboo Rod
Posted by: Tom Kirkman (---.dialinx.net)
Date: June 23, 2001 12:23PM

We have been running a complete bamboo rod making series in RodMaker for over a year now. Russ Gooding (Golden Witch) and Bernard Elser have compiled this series for us. It is quite good.

There are many books available on this subject that will give you the entire process under one roof, so to speak. Bernard Elser and George Maurer worked together on a book named "Fundamentals of Building a Bamboo Fly Rod" which is excellent. The much praised work from Hoagy Carmichael and Everett Garison is excellent as well, but might put you in over your head. Still, you will hear of it whenever you ask about information on building your own bamboo rod.

A fellow named Stan Smartt was at the first Rod Builder's Guild Conclave. He mentioned that he offers week-long classes where the participants build their own rod, start to finish, under his watchful eye. I seem to recall that Ron Barch (The Planing Form editor) also offers similar classes. Obviously, such a class would be the quickest and safest way to embark on such an endeavor.

Look to the left and click on the Golden Witch link. You will find that propriator Russ Gooding will be most helpful in getting you started, no matter what particular path you choose to follow.

Tom Kirkman
RodMaker Magazine
www.rodmakermagazine.com

Posted by: Joe T. (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2001 01:45PM

Tom,

Thanks for the advise. I just subscribed to your magazine earlier today.

Posted by: thomas drury (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 23, 2001 10:56PM

Tom was correct in what he offered but i picked up on the fact that you were interested in a blank. There are numerous rod blanks on the market. I have built a couple from blanks. I fish a lot of small streams so the first bambo that I did was to take an old bambo and use the tip and mid sections and it built a beautiful 3wt. It is also a way to not get much in your first attempt.
I if can help e-mail me and I will do ahat I can to help

tom

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster