I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

3rd rod done! Rainshadow ISB722 (beginner encouragement)
Posted by: Rick Stuart (---.hsd1.ca.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 01:58PM

Well as much as anything is "done" for me this one is. I'll do a little cleaning, and some touch up here and there when I work on my next rod, but it is done!

I built a Rainshadow ISB722 for my wife to use for finesse bass fishing on Clear Lake CA. She is pretty good and has a good touch for dropshot, shaky head, flick shake, and all that lighter style of fishing.

She picked the thread colors, the main wrap is Gudebrod chestnut 5274 and the tag is LT blue 037. The colors look great together and the chestnut looks really "woody."

I used the Fuji New Concept System and matched the guide layout to a new Shimano Stradic 3000R reel on a regular split grip system. I tried a few things that didn't work. I pooched up the Rainshadow sticker that came with it so I'll try to get another. I have trouble with a clean application of stickers. I tried to do some lettering on the blank, but that was really really hard! So instead of trying to do these extra things over and over, I just said, hey... I'm done.

She loves the look and knows enough about fishing to know the action on the blank looks really nice for what she will use it for. I cast it a few times in the pool with a little wobbly crankbait and it feels nice in the hand and reeling in. We'll see what it feels like after a few hours on the water.

I'm lucky I have a really good rod building supply place I can drive to here near my home in Oakland CA, but I have often used the sponsors on the left as well.

I've been reading this forum forever, and so many of the photos here are so amazing that after doing just a few rods I have no idea how you guys pull it off! It can be intimidating. But I wouldn't have it any other way. If you are a beginner at doing this just go for it. Get the seat glued on, the guides wrapped and in a fairly straight line, and go fish. Catching that first fish on your freshly built rod is about the coolest thing ever.

Thanks for answering all the beginner questions people post, and the FAQ and library.

blank taped up for reel seat
[www.rodbuilding.org]

cork and reel seat layout
[www.rodbuilding.org]

guide, blank, thread in the sun
[www.rodbuilding.org]

thread close up
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Rainshadow ISB722 action
[www.rodbuilding.org]

look down the rod at Fuji New Concept guides layout
[www.rodbuilding.org]

business end with reel
[www.rodbuilding.org]

Edited 2 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 06:22PM by Rick Stuart.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: 3rd rod done! Rainshadow ISB722 (beginner encouragement)
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:10PM

Very nice work for your 3rd rod. And, each subsequent one will get better and better.

Posted by: Steve Gardner (---.nc.res.rr.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:51PM

Looks good!
You may want to consider using foam arbors or an open mesh type of tape (sheet Rock tape) on future rods. The masking tape can break down over time causing some problems.

Also you can click onto the Decal Connection’s web site. They have some tutorials on decal application that may support you with correcting your decal challenges.

Posted by: Mike Barkley (---.try.wideopenwest.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 05:24PM

Very Nice!! I hope you realize that you are now hooked!!!!! I'm with Steve on the arbors, though. Check with Decal Connection on the decals. They will make custom metallic waterslide decals exactly like you want at a great price. You can even write it on a pc of paper, scan it and they can make it in your own handwriting!

Mike (Southgate, MI)
If I don't want to, I don't have to and nobody can make me (except my wife) cuz I'm RETIRED!!

Date: June 10, 2008 05:38PM

I've been hooked for 30 years! Ok, so there was a 30 year gap between building my first rod and the second one last year... :)

Thanks all for the kind words. I'm really happy with the way it turned out even with a few flaws and issues I see when I look close

I do a radio show in SF CA and am going to talk/blog about it. Maybe someone will get the crazy idea that they can build a rod if I can. I sure hope so.

I actually used those black foam like arbors on my second rod, an American Tackle Matrix rod. They seem pretty good. But when I went to assemble the parts for this one the place I went to (guess I can't say the name) was out of stock. If we fish enough to have the handle slip or fall apart I'll be happy to fix it. From now on I will use the arbors.

Again here's to you master builders. You guys are true artists.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/10/2008 05:44PM by Rick Stuart.

Posted by: steve stanfill (---.hsd1.mi.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 06:06PM

Rick
Nice job on that rod. You got to love it when a plan comes together, The chestnut really looks classy too.

Posted by: Raymond Adams (---.hsd1.mn.comcast.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 09:08PM

Nice job Rick!

Hey I knew I reconized the name from radio. Didn't you used to be on KFBK 1530AM in Sacramento?
Email me a link to your blog if your so inclined.

Raymond Adams
Eventually, all things merge, and a river runs through it..

Date: June 11, 2008 02:07AM

Raymond_Adams Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
> Nice job Rick!
>

Thanks! I got lots of inspiration here, everything from choosing blanks, to threads, to the build and even taking pictures. That's not easy either!

> Hey I knew I reconized the name from radio. Didn't
> you used to be on KFBK 1530AM in Sacramento?

That would be Rick Stewart. A super nice guy we met a few times over the years. He passed away last year. I work at KFOG in San Francisco.

> Email me a link to your blog if your so inclined.

It is at the "community" section of the KFOG website. I'll email you too.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 06/11/2008 02:08AM by Rick Stuart.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster