I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Harenell White Grips
Posted by: Peter Sprague (---.)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:03PM

Is there anywhere these days to purchase the old heavy white rubber grips used on the black Harenell surf rods? I have one to refurb and one of the grips is chunked. Needs replacing and the owner wants to stay original if possible.

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Harenell White Grips
Posted by: William Bartlett (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:16PM

Peter,

I don't know if the original grips are available or not. If not, I would say that you could reproduce them with white block EVA.

Bill in WV

Posted by: Michael Blomme (---.spkn.qwest.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 02:51PM

Peter,
The grips on those Harnell rods were Hypolon. Mud Hole Tackle and Angler's Workshop sell colored hypolon, but not white. If you use EVA (also available at Mud Hole and Angler's Workshop), it will not match the original Hypolon grips. You might try a search on this forum for Harnell. The Harnell rods are going to be manufactured in Oregon and you might be able to find an e-mail address on this forum for them. They might be able to help you get white Hypolon if they are going planning to reproduce those original rods. Good Luck.

Mike Blomme

Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: June 10, 2008 03:06PM

I have one here - I don't think these are Hypalon. They're heavy, hard, white rubber. Molded actually. Tough as nails but heavy as, well... heavy rubber.

If you can't salvage one from another Harnell, I'd remove what you have and try to fashion facsimiles from white EVA or Hypalon.

Posted by: John Martines (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 03:09PM

Some were molded rubber on the Harnells. Harnell has just been bought out and speaking with the new owner none of the origanal handle molds exist anymore. He is looking to maybe reproduce them if they aren't cost prohibitive. Harnell should be making blanks in about a year again, once the new shop is set up in Oregon. Still American made!

Posted by: James(Doc) Labanowski (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 10, 2008 03:14PM

If I am not mistaken they do have the molds and they were rubber. I help them make a couple batches when I was working there. I will check and see if Erik has any in stock. Doubt they have even unpacked stuff yet other than maybe some of the old blanks.

Posted by: Bill Colby (---.int.bellsouth.net)
Date: June 10, 2008 06:10PM

I have a 9 footer with a snapped tip section. The butt is perfect and has the three heavy white hard rubber grips. Don't know if they are the same size as what you have but if so they're yours.

E-Mail me at williamcolby2003@yahoo.com and we'll get together on the measurements. If you'll cover the shipping you can have the whole butt section.

Posted by: Chuck McIntyre (---.hlrn.qwest.net)
Date: June 11, 2008 09:19PM

Peter,your email addy is hidden. Feel free to email me about the grips,as I know where some are.
Chuck foremax@msn.com

Posted by: Dennis Danku (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: June 14, 2008 08:00PM

Pete, I have orignal Harnell white grips in my old stock pile. If you cant locate some on your own, please e-mail me. Dennis Danku

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster