I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

Batson RX-7 9'-6" 5wt
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 08:04PM

I recently built a 9ft 6in 5wt 3 piece fly rod on a Batson RX-7 blank. Unfortunately I broke the rod near the tip section and it is now on its way out to Batson and hopefully they still have a tip section for this blank since it is not made in the 3 piece configuration. Prior to breaking the rod I let a friend fish the rod and he wants me to make one just like it. Does anyone know of a blank manufacturer that makes a multi piece medium fast action that would be similar to the Batson blank. The only thing I see around is the two piece made by Batson but the portability of a rod that long in two sections is a bit of a downer since the rod will mostly used for backpacking into ponds and used for fishing out of a float tube.
I have called a bunch of the outfits that retail Batson blanks to see if they had any of these blanks in the 3 piece config, but no one has any left in stock. If anyone out there knows of someone who may have a couple of these blanks laying around or a simliar blank of a different brand please let me know. Thanks!

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: Batson RX-7 9'-6" 5wt
Posted by: Spencer Phipps (65.197.242.---)
Date: May 17, 2008 09:23PM

Might want to look at the Dan Craft 9 ft 6 in 4 piece 6 wt. It's a heavier 5 wt instead of a 6 I think and works great in a float tube. It will also make a lighter rod than the Batson using the same components.

Re: Batson RX-7 9'-6" 5wt
Posted by: Bill Hickey (---.static.twtelecom.net)
Date: May 17, 2008 09:34PM

Spencer, thanks for the info. I was wondering about that blank, if it was a "true" 6wt or a bit on the lighter side or a bit closer to a 7wt.

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster