I
nternet gathering place for custom rod builders
  • Custom Rod Builders - This message board is provided for your use by the sponsors listed on the left side of the page. Feel free to post any question, answers or topics related in any way to custom building. When purchasing products please remember those who sponsor this board.

• Manufacturers and Vendors - Only board sponsors are permitted and encouraged to promote and advertise products on the board. You may become a sponsor for a nominal fee. It is the sponsor fees that pay for this message board.

• Rules - Rod building is a decent and rewarding craft. Those who participate in it are assumed to be civilized individuals who are kind and considerate in their dealings with others. Please respond to others in the same fashion in which you would like to be responded to. Registration IS NOW required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting. Posts which are inflammatory, insulting, or that fail to include a proper name and email address will be removed and the persons responsible will be barred from further participation.

Registration is now required in order to post. You must include your actual First and Last name and a correct email address when registering or posting.
SPONSORS

2024 ICRBE EXPO
CCS Database
Custom Rod Symbol
Common Cents Info
American Grips Piscari
American Tackle
Anglers Rsrc - Fuji
BackCreek Custom Rods
BatsonRainshadowALPS
CRB
Cork4Us
HNL Rod Blanks–CTS
Custom Fly Grips LLC
Decal Connection
Flex Coat Co.
Get Bit Outdoors
HFF Custom Rods
HYDRA
Janns Netcraft
Mudhole Custom Tackle
MHX Rod Blanks
North Fork Composites
Palmarius Rods
REC Components
RodBuilders Warehouse
RodHouse France
RodMaker Magazine
Schneiders Rod Shop
SeaGuide Corp.
Stryker Rods & Blanks
TackleZoom
The Rod Room
The FlySpoke Shop
USAmadefactory.com
Utmost Enterprises
VooDoo Rods

fair comparisons
Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.29.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 05:19PM

I remember that quite some time ago a fly-fishing magazine used to get a bunch of expert fly fisherman/casters together and in a double-blind trial give them several fly rods of the same line weight and length to test cast.
At the end of the session each expert independently rated the rods and discussed the pros and cons of each rod. I found such articles to be highly interesting and informative, but I have not seen an article or comparison test like this in years. I realize such tests will probably make some sponsors or potential sponsors unhappy, but I would really like to see a re-creation of this type of test with currently produced rod blanks. Any suggestions? Any chance of such a comparison trial being conducted today, or do spin doctors (pardon the pun) rule access to comparison of products?

Options: ReplyQuote
Re: fair comparisons
Posted by: Anonymous User (Moderator)
Date: April 17, 2008 05:24PM

I didn't find them to be of much value because they weren't comparing apples to apples - not all the "5-weight rods" had the same power. Thus, they weren't even remotely similar. The ones that won rave reviews for their ability to cast the rated line the farthest were simply the most powerful ones (but they didn't tell you that). The ones that cast the best close in with the rated line, were less powerful. Frankly, I found those tests to be very much along the lines of a farce. If they really wanted to perform an apples to apples test, they'd use the ERN rating to gather and assemble the rods. Then you'd have rods possessing the same relative power and meaningful comparisons could then be made. But few manufacturers would want you do that - then nobody could stack the deck one way or the other.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.50.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 17, 2008 08:08PM

The trials I remember included discussions of such details as tracking, accuracy, suitability for marked line weight, and effectiveness at short, medium, and long distances - many topics of interest to fishermen as well as distance casters.

Posted by: Rob Hale (---.proxy.aol.com)
Date: April 17, 2008 09:58PM

Suitability for marked line weight isn't really an issue. Any rod will cast any line weight and that's something I have come to believe. The distance it will do it at though will be different based on the power of each respective rod. I agree with Tom that these have never been apples to apples comparisions and were only intended to lure consumers into buying a new rod. "Win the race on Sunday and sell cars on Monday."

Distance casters need only select a more powerful rod in order to cast further. I remember one magazine doing the "great eight weight shoot out." I could have won that with any rod by taking any company's ten or eleven weight rod, scratching that number out and writing in an eight. That would have given me the longest casting eight weight in the test. The longest casting rod will almost always be the most powerful one.

I think accuracy is a function of the person doing the casting not the rod.

Posted by: Todd R. Vivian (---.sub-75-202-8.myvzw.com)
Date: April 17, 2008 11:07PM

Those comparisons were stopped because of the advertisers pulling their ads.

Regards,
Todd Vivian
Mud Hole Custom Tackle

todd@mudhole.com

Posted by: Charles Clayton (58.172.156.---)
Date: April 18, 2008 02:45AM

/

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 04/18/2008 02:49AM by Charles Clayton.

Date: April 18, 2008 09:17AM

Any time you publish comparisons which are based soley on subjective opinions, then that's what you have - opinions, not facts nor results. Unfortunately, many readers didn't consider this and took those opinions as facts or results, which they weren't. No wonder some of the advertisers pulled their copy.

We would get into the same thing with tests or comparisons on blanks. Publishing inherent properties such as length, action, power, weight, etc., would be fine, but as soon as we go beyond that we get into mere opinions, and you can already get those just by asking - we wouldn't want to represent them as facts.

I don't want Phil to think anyone is jumping on him about this request. I know many fly fishermen enjoyed reading the "tests" but I still question the true value of them and really don't see any need for that type of thing here. Besides, who will be doing the testing and publishing the "data?"

This is why I think it's best for companies to publish as much actual data on their blanks as they can (the Common Cents System provides objective data, not subjective opinions) and then let educated rod builders crunch the numbers and decide for themselves what blank would be best for their particular application. And, you can always post a question here asking what other builders in your shoes are using. Take all those opinions and whittle them down into what you think will work best.

Posted by: Phil Ewanicki (---.235.78.91.Dial1.Orlando1.Level3.net)
Date: April 18, 2008 10:59AM

It isn't always possible to test cast a blank before purchase. Before parting with a wad of cash, amassing as much information as possible seems prudent. Given a choice between ad copy, testimonials of unknown individuals with unknown expertise and unknown motives, and the admittedly subjective judgment of recognized experts from a double-blind trial, I would still like the opportunity to consider the latter.

Date: April 18, 2008 12:04PM

Seems reasonable to me, but I can't imagine who is going to undertake the task of doing such tests or how they'd go about it. But if they do, hopefully they'll let you know. Or if you decide to do it, let us know.

If the manufacturers ever adopt the CCS, you'd have a ton of information to go, but only 1 or 2 have done that thus far. At this point they only give you the length and number of pieces. Many have even stopped listing the physical weight of their rods and blanks.

I used to own and operate a fly shop and invariably after one of the supposed "tests" would run, guys would come in wanting to buy the rod that had "won" the test. In many if not most cases, the rod they purchased wasn't a good choice for them and their style of fishing. Many came away convinced something was wrong with the rod they bought because it "didn't perform like they said it did in the test."

Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.
Webmaster